General discussion

Repairing XP on HP compaq Mini

Right then, in short the kid got hold of the netbook when the missus back was turned (on the phone to sky)bashed some keys and seems to of deleted windows driver files.

Error message on POST:

windows couldn't start... blah blah....following file is missing or corrupt:
system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys

After this it asks to insert the installation CD to repair the issue but obviously this is a netbook and doesn't have a DVD drive (I don't have an external USB drive). I do have a legit copy of XP that I could attempt to put on a flashdrive but I am not sure if I could repair XP with this or if it would overwrite a fresh install. (this is the os that I use on the desktop)

Unfortunately the kicker is that all the baby photos of the lad are on the HD of the netbook and as I am sure you can understand we don't want to run the risk of deleting them which would obviously happen if there is a fresh install.

Can anyone offer any advice on this? Should/can I do this myself or would I be better to take the netbook to the local PC world?

Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Repairing XP on HP compaq Mini
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Repairing XP on HP compaq Mini
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: repairing XP

You can do it yourself if you buy a USB CD/DVD-drive to boot from the Windows XP CD. That's certainly cheaper than the local shop. And it's the way it's done with netbooks.

A repair install shouldn't erase the pics. But if you want to be VERY sure of keeping your pics buy a big enough USB-stick (or two) or an external hard disk and boot from a Linux Live CD to copy everything you forgot to backup to it. Having a backup, by the way, won't harm at all, and I should say it's money well spent for the baby photo's, now and in the future.

Kees

- Collapse -
Yes.

An external USB DVDRW is much less than a shop fee. Also my HP Mini 1000 came with the operating CD for reinstallation and repair but I know NEVER to attempt repairs until we save the files.

And nod to the LIVE LINUX CD (I use the UBUNTU CD) to getting our files out.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info