Laptops forum


Repairing mouse button on HP laptop

by melindamusil / January 20, 2014 5:38 AM PST

Last week I took apart my HP dv6t-1200 laptop to clean a very dusty fan, then reassembled. After reassembling, the left mouse button "collapsed" - it sits a teensy bit lower than the right button. The left edge is a tiny bit lower than the right edge (which is lower than the right mouse button). It still responds, but the click is much less "tactile".

True confessions: after reassembling the laptop, I have maybe three or four leftover screws, along with a round... thingy. A piece of plastic, shaped like a tiny cylinder, maybe a quarter-inch in diameter and a quarter-inch in height?

The computer actually works fine, and this is only a very slight annoyance. Touch-tap also works fine. I'm thinking about opening the computer back up to see if I can repair the mouse. Does anyone have experience with this issue?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Repairing mouse button on HP laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Repairing mouse button on HP laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Yes but.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2014 2:09 PM PST

I never repair such a part. I only replace it. And let me be clear, I have never found bits and pieces for the entire pad and buttons.

Collapse -
by melindamusil / January 22, 2014 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: Yes but.

Thanks Bob. Maybe I'll just save my time and live with it. For as old as this computer is (over 4 years), and as much abuse as it's sustained, I'm pleased that this is the only major problem I have to deal with.

Collapse -
Second yes, but...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2014 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

I also use an external mouse. Current a Logitech M510.

Collapse -
by James Denison / January 22, 2014 2:55 AM PST

sounds like the tactile pressure pad or dome that fits under a key or in this case your button. If you want to see one, pop a key off a standard keyboard. You will see similar there.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!