Cameras forum

General discussion

Repairing dropped Canon Ixus 700 - worth it?

Hi. I have a Canon Digital Ixus 700, which was unfortunately dropped on a hard surface when the camera is on and in shooting mode.

As a result,
1. The battery and SD card latch has become loose. It is necessary for me to press on the battery latch for the camera to start.

2. When the camera is turned on, the startup image and sound plays normally. In playback mode, I can view my past pictures (with the battery latch pressed) without any problems. But in shooting mode, soon after the display image and sound are played, a E18 message appears, and the camera lens are unable to protrude/retract.

I am now in a dilema whether to have it fixed by an authorised Canon centre, or to just go for a new camera.

My question is, do you think for such problems, are they really fixable? Fixing will definitely be the cheaper option, but what I dont want is after fixing, the camera becomes unreliable. So far I have very good experiences with my camera and love it lots, so would not be aiming for a new one unless necessary.

What do you reckon? Is a repair done by an authorised centre generally reliable or not?

Thanks for your advice!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Repairing dropped Canon Ixus 700 - worth it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Repairing dropped Canon Ixus 700 - worth it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon Ixus 700 (aka SD500)

In reply to: Repairing dropped Canon Ixus 700 - worth it?

The Ixus 700 has one of the best lens/sensor setups of all of that series of cameras. It produces very good images.

So....

It is worth taking the next step, which is to contact Canon repair.

They have seen plenty of dropped cameras and can probably give you a ballpark estimate as to the cost.

Collapse -
How about Canon Ixus 800/850?

In reply to: Canon Ixus 700 (aka SD500)

Thanks snapshot2 for your reply.

You mentioned Ixus 700 is the best of the line. How does it compare to 800 or 850?

That is the camera that I am planning to get if I dont send it for repair.

Collapse -
Canon Ixus 800/850

In reply to: How about Canon Ixus 800/850?

The Canon Ixus700/750 used a different lens and CCD sensor.
Probably borrowed from the Canon A620.

That particular 7 megapixel sensor has been one of the best.

After the Ixus750 they went to a physically smaller sensor and still crowded the 7 megapixels on that smaller CCD foundation.
This was probably a cost reduction step, as it permits the use of a slightly smaller lens. Or they were trying to reduce the overall size of the camera.

The Ixus 800/850 cameras take great photos, but if you really do some pixel peeping, the Ixus 700/750 produces a slightly better image (sharpness and clarity).

Unless you examine sample photos at 100% size you will not see the difference.

Here is a link to the cameras referenced:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_sd500%2Ccanon_sd550%2Ccanon_sd700is%2Ccanon_sd800is%2Ccanon_a620&show=all

Collapse -
Never worked on an SD or Ixus but

In reply to: Canon Ixus 800/850

Are you good with fixing things? how does the lens look? is it full closed? all the way extended or partly extended.

Here is what i have found, a fully extended lens, or a fully closed lens you have a good chance of fixing it without damagin anything else. If its any of the lens sections are cooked in the unit or one section is in all the way but the rest are fully extended your not gona have any luck.

Sometimes the cameras have ribbon cables that come loose on an impact that can cause E18 errors i just fixed an A510 with this problem. I thought somthing was broken mechanicly but it was just a cable. I still had to remove about 25 screws and dismantle almost teh whole camera but it works now.

Collapse -
To ... IXUSERVICE ... Advertisement Deleted

In reply to: Repairing dropped Canon Ixus 700 - worth it?

You advertisement has been deleted.
Advertising on any C|Net Forum is not permitted.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.