Samsung forum

General discussion

Repairability of plasma vs. lcd televisions

by scottscreek0 / December 12, 2009 2:44 AM PST

I recently wrote you for advice about purchasing a new lcd tv to replace my early model Samsung LCD with regard to how feasible it is to repair them once the picture starts to fail. You gave me some very helpful advice comparing various ccfl and led configurations and recommended the LNxxB750 series. You also mentioned that I might be able to find a tv with a screen larger than 46 in. to fit in my plasma lift console. I was on the verge of purchasing an LN46B750 when I discovered your PN50B650 will just fit, is actually several hundred dollars less expensive and supposedly has better picture quality. I had never considered plasma tv's, because years ago I had read they had shorter lifespans, weren't as suitable for rooms with ambient light and had IR issues, which I understand have all been resolved. How repairable is this plasma tv compared to the various types of lcd tv's?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Repairability of plasma vs. lcd televisions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Repairability of plasma vs. lcd televisions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Repairability of plasma vs. lcd televisions
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 13, 2009 3:27 PM PST

scottscreek0,

I remember the exchange.

Over the years, plasma technology has improved dramatically. For instance, the FilterBright Technology reduces issues with ambient light, and the panels have technology built-in to reduce burn-in and image retention - although, image retention and burn-in are still possible. Though, on the topic of ambient light, it's probably not best to watch television with the sun setting behind you - but that situation wouldn't also have favorable results for an LCD either.

There are some differences in the picture quality, and plasma technology is a great technology - some argue that it creates a picture more like a CRT-television than the comparative LCD technology, and the refresh rate is significantly faster.

It's worth considering, and the price points are generally lower. So I hope that helps with your inquiry. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Can plasma televisions be repaired as easily as ccfl lcd TV
by scottscreek0 / December 13, 2009 11:14 PM PST

Thanks for confirming my conclusions on the merits of modern plasma televisions. However, the main question is, how repairable are they? I understand Samsung plasmas are good for about 60,000 hours these days barring premature failure. Practically speaking, at 60,000 hours, technology will have advanced so far, I'll want to upgrade to something newer. However, how susceptable are they to early failure, what components most usually fail and can the TV's be repaired if these components do prematurely fail? Are there any known recurring problems with the PN50B650 series?

Collapse -
Can plasma televisions be repaired as easily as ccfl lcd TV
by CrotalusHH / December 15, 2009 5:40 AM PST

I saw a thread today that Visio has passed Samsung as the #1 flat panel TV. 600,000 for Visio and 400,000 for Samsung.

It looks to me like the failure rate is pretty small if they sold that many TV's and so few found there way here to complain about problems.

The same thread said that Visio sold so many because they are cheap, not because they have even as good a picture as Samsung.

The wonders of Wall-Mart marketing.

Reminds me of the IBM days of personal computers. IBM - Inadequate But Marketable.

Collapse -
Purchased a Samsung PN50B650 and BD-P4600 package
by scottscreek0 / December 15, 2009 11:14 PM PST

Lacking any preponderance of specific credible advice against recent Samsung plasmas I decided to buy a Samsung PN50B650 that was being sold as a package deal with a Samsung BD-P4600 Blue-ray disc player from B&H Photo and Video. In the process of visiting local electronics stores to view various TV's, my wife and I were blown away by the clarity and detail of a "Dinosaurs" BRD being shown on a Samsung UN46B7000 LED LCD TV. At first we thought the picture quality was due solely to the LED LCD, but at another store we saw a different BRD animated movie being demonstrated on an LCD TV that showed the same quality and realized the stunning picture had as much or more to do with the BRD than the HDTV technology. So when I saw the deal for a TV and BRD player for a reasonable price I jumped on it. The LED LCD TV's are a bit too expensive for mmy budget and the largest LED LCD or LCD TV I can fit in my plasma lift console is 46" whereas I can fit a 50" Samsung plasma. Plasma is a mature technology that has apparently solved it's early problems. Reading the comments on both the CNET and AVS websites about the PN50B650 and the BD-P4600, I realize that both have a few issues, but nothing I can't live with. All modern HDTV's and BDP's seem to have issues due to their complexity. I'm looking forward to their delivery on Friday and the challenge of setting them up and incorporating them into my existing AV system, gaming computer and home wireless network which I expect will take several days to sort out and probably a few visits to the Samsung, CNET and AVS websites for advice.

Collapse -
Purchased a Samsung PN50B650 and BD-P4600 package
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 18, 2009 6:04 PM PST

scottscreek0,

Keep us posted. If we can help, let us know.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?