Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Repair..Now what do I do

by Jradamsinc / January 7, 2006 3:26 AM PST

I am running the XP repair and whatever is in my computer will not let me enter the key code thus halting the install of the repair. How do I get out of this and get back to set up for a delete and clean install
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Repair..Now what do I do
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Repair..Now what do I do
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For a clean install
by Ray Harinec / January 7, 2006 3:47 AM PST

simply put the XP CD in the drive and as part of the install sequence it will allow you to clean everything repartition etc etc.

Or you can install it over itself and possibly fix your problem.

Collapse -
Clean Install
by Jradamsinc / January 7, 2006 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: For a clean install

Thanks but that is in a perfect world. I tried to run set up repair. I gets to the key code portion and freezes. It will not let me enter my keycode. It keeps trying to finish the repair installation and will not let me back into basic set up to repartition and install clean. Any hints on how to bypass the incomplete setup?

Collapse -
"Will not let me enter
by retired / January 7, 2006 4:00 AM PST

the key code", it sounds like you are trying to enter an invalid product key. what are you trying to do, repair the installed OS, maybe if you let us know the problem you are having with the computer there may be another way to fix it.

Collapse -
It's valid
by Jradamsinc / January 7, 2006 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: "Will not let me enter

It's not even a matter of the keycode. It's new, four monthe old. It will not allow me enter the digits. This was my original problem this morning with the system not allowing me to enter passwords in normal and safe mode.
XP Home - SP2 120 G 256 Ram Dell Dimension 2500

Collapse -
Instructions for Repair install/clean install/reinstall
by retired / January 7, 2006 4:05 AM PST
In reply to: "Will not let me enter

Repair Install
A Repair Install will replace the system files with the files from the XP CD that is used for the Repair Install. It will leave your applications and settings intact. Windows updates will need to be reapplied. SP2 will also need to be re-applied if you are using an SP1 OS/CD.
Factory supplied Restore Disks will not work to do a Repair Install.

If possible, Before doing the rapair install copy the wpa.dbl file to a floppy and after the repair copy/paste the file to the C:\windows\system32 folder, This will save doing a re-activation of the OS. ( only if no Major Hardware changes are made.)

1=Set BIOS to boot from the CD/ROM as first boot device, With OS/CD in the drive restart the computer.

2=When the prompt to "Press any key to boot from CD/ROM appears (Do so now as you have only seconds).(Ignore when prompt appears on any reboot)

3=Windows setup, Loads files.

4=You will see Windows XP home or Pro setup.

5=To setup windows press "Enter."

6=Press F8 to accept license.

7=To repair selected Windows Installation press "R."

8=Copies files to the Hard drive.

9=Computer will Re-Boot

10=follow the on-screen instructions..

11=Enter the "product Key"

12=The computer will re-boot again during the install, do not use "the press any key" command at the prompt or you get to do it all over again.

13=Follow on screen instructions.

New/Clean Install/Re-install

1=Set Bios to boot from CD/ROM as first boot device(Entering the BIOS and changing the boot order is not discussed here, you may have to refer to the computers manual for this).(For a clean or new drive the boot sequence does not matter)

2=Place the OS/CD in the CD/ROM drive and Re-Boot

3=Watch for the prompt to "Press any key to boot from CD/ROM" Press ASAP (Ignore when prompt appears on any reboot) (You will only get this prompt if there is an OS installed).

4=windows Setup (Loads Files)

5=To setup XP now press "ENTER"

6=Press F8 for license

7=To continue installing a fresh copy of windows without repairing press "ESC"(You will not get this prompt for a new or unpartitioned drive)

8=For a new or unpartitioned drive press "ENTER" (or you can press "C" if you want to create multiple partitions).

9=For a drive that has partitions, operating system or any data on it, you should press "D" to delete the partition and start out with a clean drive
10=Press "enter"

11=You will be prompted again, press "L"(You will do this for each partition) , Now you are ready to partition and format

12=Press "C" (Only if you want multiple partitions, Otherwise press "Enter"

13=To setup windows on the selected partition press "enter"

14=Select format NTFS with quick option, (Should be the top selection)

15=Press "enter'

16=Wait for format to complete

17=Computer will start copying files to the installation folders (this may take several minutes)

18=Computer will re-boot, do not press any key to boot from CD/ROM when prompted
19=follow the on-screen instructions to complete loading windows.

Collapse -
Thank you but.....
by Jradamsinc / January 7, 2006 4:10 AM PST

Thanks. I've been on hold with tech support for 45 minute. I can't even get back to the pree any key screen as the system keeps trying to finish the initial repair. I'm in a twilight zone round robin.

Collapse -
Sounds like
by phantazy / January 7, 2006 4:19 AM PST

it doesn't want to do a 'repair' if that's what you originally asked it to complete. You will then have to go back to set to boot from CD Rom again in the Bios. If that's not working you'll have to re-set the CMOS. If you don't know how to do that, post again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!