Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Repair install Win XP Pro, setup restarts before finishing

by BarrelRacinAngel / January 21, 2010 5:04 AM PST

Antec Case w/ 350w Power Supply
ASUS A7N8X dlx motherboard
XP2500+ Processor
512MB PC3200 Memory - Corsair twin (2x256mb)
WD 120GB HD 7200 rpm 8mb buffer
WD External HD 750GB
128mb AGP 8x Video (Ti4200)
Pioneer AO5 DVD/RW
Sony CD/RW
WIN XP Pro
SP3

I have been having problems with this system for a while, I've had the "blue screen", restarting on it's own (sometimes while I was working, others when it was rebooting at various stages), sometimes it won't even turn on (after pressing the power button, the light will come on & then it will turn off it sounds like its gonna start but doesn't).

I have searched Microsoft & various forums, including this one for help. I have tried just about every suggestion that I thought was remotely close. The person that built this system for me isn't around, he used to give me technical support. I have had to reformat & reinstall Win XP on it twice before... You might wonder why I haven't upgraded before. We have a small business & I use QuickBooks. If I upgrade I have to upgrade QB also, I'm not prepared for the expense right now. I need to get my books done for 2009, so this is an urgent issue. Maybe in time for 2010 I can, these are difficult times...

I have performed the repair install this time as a last resort & everything went fine, until it got to the setup portion. It is restarting before it finishes the process. It will try a few times and then it will stall. I am completely frustrated it this point. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Repair install Win XP Pro, setup restarts before finishing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Repair install Win XP Pro, setup restarts before finishing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The clues are in that machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2010 8:52 AM PST

This Socket A machines do tend to do this. I take it that repairing the machine is not acceptable advice so try this. If the BIOS allows it, disable the CPU L1 and L2 Cache. It may run slower but it may run.
Bob

Collapse -
Other suggestions?
by BarrelRacinAngel / January 21, 2010 10:40 AM PST

I was able to disable CPU L1 & L2 Cache, however, it didn't solve the problem. Any other suggestions? What did you mean by "repairing the machine"?

Collapse -
Repairing the machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2010 11:06 AM PST
In reply to: Other suggestions?
Collapse -
Failed Part(s)...
by BarrelRacinAngel / January 21, 2010 11:59 AM PST
In reply to: Repairing the machine.

I clean our machines regularly, I haven't replaced the flat cables w/ round ones. I live more than an hour from a town large enough to have computer stores, so buying parts will have to wait til the weekend or order them online.

If a part has failed, is there any way to determine which one it is or is at least most likely?

Collapse -
Sometimes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2010 8:05 PM PST
In reply to: Failed Part(s)...

The tests we use may or may not work if the machine had become unreliable. You can try memory, hard disk, video test programs (found with google) but if nothing bears fruit you take what you learned over the years and take your best guess. If you can't guess then you replace the oldest part first. Then the next and the next.

But why must this machine be fixed? Here I see newer machines (Pentium 4s with 256MB or more RAM, ect.) on FREECYCLE and the free area of Craig's list every month. The machine looks to be well past 7 years old and with it being the Socket A (read cranky even when it was new) you know you would never accept such a machine at your repair counter for repair.
Bob

Collapse -
QuickBooks
by BarrelRacinAngel / January 21, 2010 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: Sometimes.

I mentioned in my initial post, I use QuickBooks. We have another machine, much newer & it is the one I'm using to access the Internet. I can't install the version of QB I have on it. QB requires Flash7 & this machine has Flash 10. We plan to upgrade QB, but I was hoping to get through this tax season. I have tried to find Flash7 for this machine, but it seems to have disappeared as new versions came out...

No, I don't really want to put money into the old machine. Do you recommend purchasing on FREECYCLE or Craig's List or building machine locally as we did in the past? Angel

Collapse -
It appears
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2010 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: QuickBooks

I didn't tell you enough. "Do you recommend purchasing on FREECYCLE" means that I didn't tell you that such is free stuff. Same for the free area on the other. If free won't do, then I'm afraid you'll have to buy something.

Repair of the machine may be possible but as you know, these old socket A machines are only accepted for repair by shops that don't know any better. I hope you can understand why.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank You!
by BarrelRacinAngel / January 22, 2010 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: It appears

I'd like to say I had a "blonde" moment, but I am totally NOT a blonde! I've been working on that machine for so long things aren't soaking in right away... I greatly appreciate your time & assistance, Angel Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?