Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Repair Function - Majority Unwanted Changes

by Username3478 / April 25, 2008 9:32 AM PDT

Hello everyone

I decided to make this post because I used to have a lot of problems with xp logo. Somehow it look like, with help of google, I fixed it but it doesn't work as it should, so I would like to kindly please for your help.
Here is description:
About a week and a half ago when I boot my PC (no matter from restart or from turning PC on), it used to freeze when XP Logo appeared on the screen. Everything I have done (before this began) was uninstalling, reinstalling and using once Spybot Search & Destroy. Progress bar stopped in the middle of "filling". I haven't been able to come to the desktop. I couldn't use safe mode and I was getting the error message:
"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this. If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked. If a previouns setup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed or if you aren't sure what caused the problem choose start windows normally.
Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt
Last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked).
Start Windows normally."

Bootable Windows XP (I had SP2) always worked.
However I fixed this problem with Windows Repair (NOT recovery console) function. I am able to come to desktop but I have some majority unwanted changes. I will mentoin few of them that are the following:

- few icons on the desktop changed to the "unknown shortcuts" icons (in case if i didn't describe it well - this icon for example appears when you delete specific program and the shortcut stays but i didn't delete anything)
- few icons on the desktop are gone
- our national windows xp language pack is changed to English one
- SP2 is changed to SP1 (SP which comes with installation / repairing)
- around 70% of entries in menu Start\Programs are gone
- folder Program Files (C:\Program Files) is duplicated (another one contains software that is installed with windows XP OS by default)
- browser Internet Explorer is on automatical startup (when WinXP does, never been like that before)
- first menu which opens when pressing on Start button (in taskbar) looks different
- in the main folder "C:\" appeared (and it is still there) a subfolder called "1bc5c6aab554fb9240b174dc". This subfolder (or with other words folder C:\1bc5c6aab554fb9240b174dc) is totally beyond me. I know absolutelly nothing about it and why is it there. It contains exsactly 2933 files and 102 folders also the main folder"i386".
- driver for webcam is gone
and so on

I want to get my system back even if most of files (100% of the files for which i have been the most worried) are still on the hard drive.

I would like to please for an answer, my question is, how could i remove the changes, with other words how could I make a recovery? I was thinking about menu Start / Programs / Accesories / System Tools / System Restore but im afraid this wouldn't remove the changes, specially not duplicated Program Files folder - it is very annoying having twice similar software on the harddrive. Im also very very worried that XP logo would freeze again so Im afraid to make System Restore even if I would be able to find the backup hard drive (image) folder that would backup at the same time as burning it on the cd or dvd.

Again, I look forward to, please, receive some reply on my issue, so I could fix it with your help.

Thank you very much and have a great time everyone.

p.s.: I apologize for my bad English language.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Repair Function - Majority Unwanted Changes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Repair Function - Majority Unwanted Changes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows Repair (NOT recovery console) function. I am able to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2008 9:38 PM PDT

"Windows Repair (NOT recovery console) function. I am able to come to desktop but I have some majority unwanted changes. I will mentoin few of them that are the following:"

I see nothing wrong with these items. Once you run Windows Repair there are many items that Microsoft will reset or change. This is not a bug.

To get back to what/how/where you want to be just start working on it.
Bob

Collapse -
by Username3478 / April 26, 2008 5:22 AM PDT

what do you mean? Sorry but I think we haven't understood each other. I would like to remove the changes that have been done with installing (repairing) xp and not knowing the risk (dangerous) level of changes that have been made. Thank you.

Collapse -
In short.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2008 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

The items you listed as problems are going to happen when we do a repair install of this OS. Nothing went wrong.

What is wrong is that Microsoft has not seen fit to move to getting this OS ready for people today who don't want to work so hard. You'll have to take it item by item and clean up after Microsoft and reinstall the SP2, webcam drivers and more.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?