General discussion

repair feature ?

whenever i first turn on computer windows installer pops up briefly loads then goes away, then my webroot spy sweeper pops up, then on top of that i get a warning that reads norton 2005 does not support the repair feature, please uinstall and reinstall, after clicking on ok 3 times the mess. will go away.norton says all systems are ok and enabled. when i reviewed my firewall i found out that i had 2 running so i dis abled the windows fw and now just have the norton worm protector running,this may be two different ??'s. ihave windows xpw/sp2 as my operating sys. what is the repair feature? do i need to uninstall norton and reinstall? please advise. thanks p.s. can i have 2 fw's running or should one just be enabled? thanks again

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: repair feature ?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: repair feature ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Hi ping, do you have Norton Antivirus only or..

you are using Norton Internet Security (Norton Firewall + Norton Antivirus)?

Try the possible solution by Symantec - Message: "Norton AntiVirus 2005 does not support the repair feature. Please uninstall and reinstall."

If your product is Norton Antivirus, you can enable the Internet Worm protection and Windows XP firewall. See Configuring your firewall for use with Norton AntiVirus 2004 or 2005

If your product is Norton Internet Security (Firewall + Antivirus), I suggest that you don't enable Windows Firewall because the firewall application of Norton should be able to do the job in protecting the system from known attacks.

- Collapse -
thanks donna

i did the uninstall 2005 norton reinstall and my problem seems to be fixed, thanks! just one more ? you say that it is ok to run both my windows xp firewall and my stand alone 2005 norton antivirus that comes with worm protect fw, but when i did the reinstall norton 2005 suggested or prompted me to only run the worm protect fw. i am running both at this time. will this be ok as i understand your reply? thanks again.

- Collapse -
Yes

You can run both. Please note that Internet Worm Protection in NAV is not a firewall application. It prevents certain network worms and other known Internet threats from attacking your computer.

XP Firewall will monitor all incoming connections. It also provide boot-time protection.

I suggest that you observe your systems' performance (whether slow or OK), internet connection (surfing, email), 3rd party application that requires internet connection for any issues. If there is issue, disable Internet Worm Protection. Some users reported that their system crashed with Internet Worm Protection and XP Firewall enabled while others don't have issue. I guess, it depends on how it is configured.

CNET Forums

Forum Info