General discussion

Rep. Hank Johnson: Guam could 'tip over and capsize'

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Rep. Hank Johnson: Guam could 'tip over and capsize'
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Rep. Hank Johnson: Guam could 'tip over and capsize'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
This person is a total . . .
- Collapse -
(NT) APRIL FOOL!!!!
- Collapse -
Sleep Well America

Your Representatives Are Taking Care of You.

- Collapse -
Hold on now....
- Collapse -
floating islands
- Collapse -
Spiral Island
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_Island

It was built by British eco-pioneer Richart (or "Rishi") Sowa beginning in 1998; he filled nets with empty discarded plastic bottles to support a structure of plywood and bamboo, on which he poured sand and planted numerous plants, including mangroves. It was destroyed by Hurricane Emily in 2005.[1] Sowa has built a new Spiral Island II in Isla Mujeres, Mexico.

The original island sported a two-story house, a solar oven, a self-composting toilet, and three beaches. He used some 250,000 bottles for the 66ft (20 m) by 54 ft (16 m) structure. The mangroves were planted to help keep the island cool, and some of them rose up to 15 ft (5 m) high.
- Collapse -
(NT) Speechless !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Collapse -
Sounded to me like...

a lame attempt at irony, or jocularity or something. Was this after the three martini lunch?

- Collapse -
No

He was serious.

- Collapse -
He now claims he was "obviously joking."

Not so "obviously," obviously.

- Collapse -
(NT) so even lawyers have a sense of humour :)
- Collapse -
Was he talking about...

Was he talking about the recent PBS story that said that an estimated 18,000 troops and families are set to arrive by 2014? If so, was he not aware that in the Vietnam War era the military population in Guam averaged around 35,000?

- Collapse -
I imagine Guam would welcome the troops and....

...the extra money it brings to the area.

- Collapse -
yeah uhhuh!! LOL

UPDATE: So, the story line now is that Hank meant these words figuratively. So how many readers think that Hank knows what the word figurative means?

UPDATE #2: This response from Hank Johnson?s office.

?I wasn?t suggesting that the island of Guam would literally tip over I was using a metaphor to say that with the addition of 8,000 Marines and their dependents ? an additional 80,000 people during peak construction on the tiny island with a population of 180,000 ? could be a tipping point which could adversely affect the island?s fragile ecosystem and could overburden its stressed infrastructure. Having traveled to Guam last year, I saw firsthand how this beautiful ? but vulnerable island ? could easily become overburdened, and I was simply voicing my concerns that the addition of that many people could tip the delicate balance and do permanent harm to Guam.?

So we?re faced with the same question as earlier. Does Hank really know what the word metaphor means? Did he really author this response?

Jonah Goldberg remarks, from a reader:

My son is stationed on Guam, I just sent him the video and told him to run to the other side of the island. He said one of his shipmates showed up to work with a life vest on!

Run to the other side of the island. You know, that whole center of gravity thing? Maybe that will keep Guam from capsizing into the sea. Or did Hank mean sink rather than capsize? We?re faced with a whole new set of problems if Guam sinks!

- Collapse -
one of his shipmates showed up to work with a life vest on!

In Canada that's considered "horseplay" and is frowned upon, while at work.

He/She takes his/her life vest home?

How much did that humoUr cost?

Some others found it funny...Americans? Send them your portion of the bill?

- Collapse -
"horseplay"?

If Congress says the island is about to tip over and capsize, it's an official endorsement of him wearing a life vest, LOL!

- Collapse -
It must be boring...

It must be boring up there. For a joke,I once walked into the office of a State Department supervisor to ask for something wearing a flak jacket. Everybody, including him, laughed.
With the military, little jokes like that are common in the U.S. It appears that it also goes on in the military of Australia. Once when I was in the military, one of their C-130 squadrons visited and at their welcoming ceremony, their commander came off his plane wearing a Colonial-era uniform. We didn't see it at immediately, as first the cargo hatch of his plane dropped and he drove to the reviewing stand in his 50's era Bentley.

- Collapse -
sounds like

someone finally told him how stupid he sounded! So tell me... Just how much did his little joke cost all of us as he sat up there on the hill while we paid for it?

- Collapse -
Did it even get a little smile out of you?

That's has to be worth something.

It put a smile on my face, Even the Military guy had to smile, of course he also had to restraint his laughter.

- Collapse -
laughter? no, amazed

that the idiot was elected maybe. But since he isn't a Canadian I suppose you could laugh about it, after all it cost you nothing.

- Collapse -
Whether I'm Canadian and you're American

He gets the same pay whether you're laughing or crying, so if you would rather cry...I'll pass you the tissues, I'll be over here snickering.

You're probably like the General(or whatever rank he had) that was answering the questions...straight faced on the outside, biting your tongue to stop from laughing.

Too bad you can't get the CPAC channel, our politicians actually have a sense of humour when they are throwing barbs at each other. Question Period (2:15 EST)is quite good.

Laugh to your hearts content...I don't mind.

- Collapse -
why would you mind?

When someone says to go ahead and do something that they won't mind, implies that there's some reason to believe they might. Why should you care if some US representative elected from the sticks of Georgia makes a joke of himself publicly?

- Collapse -
RE: implies that there's some reason to believe they might.

Because

But since he isn't a Canadian I suppose you could laugh about it, after all it cost you nothing.

- Collapse -
RE: the sticks of Georgia

Is there something "different" about the "sticks"?

- Collapse -
Actually, his district is hardly the sticks...
http://hankjohnson.house.gov/district/

DeKalb County is located in the middle of the Atlanta metropolitan area, directly east of the City of Atlanta. It includes the following incorporated cities: Avondale Estates, Clarkston, Chamblee, Doraville, Decatur, Pine Lake, Stone Mountain, Lithonia and a portion of the city of Atlanta.

So, enjoying the ride, James? Looks like he suckered you again!
- Collapse -
Ed

All of Georgia is "the sticks", LOL.

- Collapse -
I know peope in Georgia who wish it were still the sticks...

Been to Atlanta lately?

- Collapse -
(NT) Categorically untrue
- Collapse -
Looks like he suckered you again!

I thought he was suckering me.

CNET Forums

Forum Info