Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Rendering Problem with FF 2.0

I'm having a bit of a problem viewing the forums today. When I visit with Firefox I get a thick black band across the middle of the page. That makes it impossible to see some of the posts. In fact, I can't even see what I'm typing in the message as I compose it because the text box for posting is directly under the black band.
I've done a screen shot, it's at
http://www.yadtel.net/~sirosler/Images/NewCNETBannerOverPage.jpg
I hope the link is right - I can't see it to verify it. I guess we'll find out what kind of touch typist I am.
Anyway, the problem did not appear when the site first changed a couple of days ago, it just appeared today.
FWIW: If I try to preview the page I can't even see the Submit Post button. I'll just have to blindly post and hope the link works.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rendering Problem with FF 2.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rendering Problem with FF 2.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same situation using FF2 & FF3. NOT when using IE

In reply to: Rendering Problem with FF 2.0

Bill, et al

The problem doesn't exist (for me) using IE. I installed FF3, with the intention of uninstalling FF2, once I was assured FF2 wouldn't pose a problem. As mentioned in the subject, I get the same as you, with both versions of FF. (Both have AdBlock Plus and NoScript installed)

You said you hoped your screen shot was correct, because you were unable to see it, in order to verify it. It is very much correct! As a workaround, I tried various methods to get rid of it. To include trying to navigate my way out of it, by using the dropdown menu titled, "Other CNET sites", at the very bottom of the second column. The one titled "CNET Sites". It didn't work! Sad

I hope you're able to see this post. You may not feel so alone. I suspect other's will eventually be posting the same. The band across the page, makes viewing or posting impossible using FF. At least in my case.

Carol

Collapse -
(NT) No problems here in FF2.

In reply to: Same situation using FF2 & FF3. NOT when using IE

Collapse -
I just e-mailed Lee about this not

In reply to: Same situation using FF2 & FF3. NOT when using IE

realizing there was a thread about it here because I could not see this thread IN FF 3.01. I can see the site with IE but with IE I do not see the BETA site which is what I have been using with FF 3.01. I think this may be a BETA website problem.

Collapse -
Thanks Roddy!

In reply to: I just e-mailed Lee about this not

I am writing and viewing Cnet with IE... never thought of that before. Apparently this only affects Firefox with the new beta interface.

Keeping the faith! Grin

Glenn

Collapse -
Yes and no. LOL I now have

In reply to: Thanks Roddy!

2 IE tabs open here and one Firefox 3.01 tab open. One of the IE tabs is showing me the old yellow software and it is fine. The other IE tab and the Firefox 3.01 tab are showing me the beta site and the problem is there with both. I deleted all the CNET cookies and it made no difference. SO my deduction is that if you are seeing the old yellow website it is ok but if you are seeing the BETA website, it has the problem, regardless of the browser.

The problem is with the beta site. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Yes... that's my view too :)

In reply to: Yes and no. LOL I now have

Collapse -
Me too....

in FF 3. In EI the old yellow band design is displayed. Weird!
I hope it can be fixed because I don't want to use IE.

Collapse -
Me also, FF3. . .

But I notice it's only on the Beta page:

http://www.wayne2.net/page1.JPG

My other PC still shows the pre-beta page which I like much better. How do I get back to the pre-Beta page? I just now noticed that IE shows the pre=Beta page. Again, how do I get FF3 back to the old page?

Collapse -
(NT) FF2 and looking good :-)

In reply to: Me also, FF3. . .

Collapse -
Delete your current Cnet cookies...

In reply to: Me also, FF3. . .

Navigate away from Cnet, delete all Cnet-related cookies, then return and you'll return to the old site. You may be automatically 'upgraded' into the beta site again in the future, though.

John

Collapse -
Friday 25th @ 06:45 CDST

I had exactly the same problem using Safari.
I had not seen it before then.

I went to Firefox but FF did NOT use the new Beta so the problem was not there.

I created a new thread in this forum but I see that it did not take. Comes of typing blind I guess

P

Collapse -
Same problem here...

After I disabled my custom Cnet stylesheet the same issue appeared...footerWrap was displayed in the middle of the page. I had to reapply it to see what I'm doing again.

John

Collapse -
This is fixed folks... sorry about that.

Let me know if it isn't..

Do a Shift + Refresh on the browser, if you still see the footer in the middle of the page.

Now to let the ad folks know about that big Sprint Instinct ad that doesn't close... slightly annoying.

Thanks all!
-Lee

Collapse -
(NT) Thank you sir!

In reply to: This is fixed folks... sorry about that.

Collapse -
(NT) Looks like that fixed it... at least for now :) Thanks!

Collapse -
Sprint instinct ad?

I don't see it. I guess AdBlock is doing its job.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks ... That solved it for me also.

Collapse -
(NT) Yep, Banner gone, thanks

Collapse -
It's still not fixed for me.

In reply to: Yep, Banner gone, thanks

Using Firefox 2. Even with all scripts allowed, getting the problem as described, plus the links/buttons don't function. They look like links, behave like normal text. The problem is intermittent, and seems more to affect pages opened via an email notification link.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!