HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Renaming computer drives?

by Daniela / October 29, 2004 6:05 AM PDT

My father has recently bought a P4 IE6 XP Pro (SP1), 512 DDR, new 80GB HD and his old 40GB as slave with WIN98 from old computer on it. Due to inept installation of XP pro, computer found old slave first, labelled it "C" and installed settings, etc. from slave drive. XP was loaded on new 80GB, which came out labelled as "F". Other drives are DVD-Rom (as slave)("E"), CD-RW("D") plus floppy ("A"). How would the same inept person go about renaming these so that the new 80GB is the primary "C" drive with old 40GB as "D", CD-RW as "E" and DVD-ROM as "F". All this is necessary so that when installing downloaded programs with default "C" installation, it will find the new 80GB with XP (because he can't write a path for it to go elsewhere).

Also, how would he go about importing .exe files from old drive to new? (eg. Spybot S&D 1.3, Mozilla, SunJava- mostly to avoid mass downloading over slow connection)

Help much appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Renaming computer drives?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Renaming computer drives?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XP will allow you to easily reletter the drives.
by Ray Harinec / October 29, 2004 6:45 AM PDT

Really no need to but you can.

The key is you you can't name the XP drive C until you rename C to a unused letter so that the letter C is available. You have to do this for all cases where a drive is using the letter that you want a different drive to use. Really just a little planning ahead.

What you ran into is quite normal for XP, but it has the flexibily to change it.

Re the .exe files,[or zip files] are these self extracting files, if so simply copy them to where you want them and then extrct them. basically you need to reestablish the .dll links for the programs to work.

I think that XP's file and transfer wizard can do this for you, but I have no actual experience doing it. Maybe ask in the XP forum.

Collapse -
Re: Renaming computer drives?
by AussiePete / October 29, 2004 10:18 PM PDT

You can change drive letters quite easily - go to "administrative tools" then "disk management" - right click on the drive you want to change then click on "change drive letter".
As for transferring programs, unfortunately with most programs it's not just a matter of copying over the "exe" files from one system to the other before they can run - in most cases drivers (such as DLL files) have to be registered in the registry among other things.
I have the same setup with 98 on an old disk and XP on a new one. But I have Norton Systems works running on both disks and there is a function in Norton to allow transfer of programs. It's the only software of this kind that I have come across.
Peter

Collapse -
Re: Renaming computer drives?
by billzhills / October 30, 2004 3:39 AM PDT

XP will not allow you to change the Drive letter of the active partition. Which in this case is "F".

You have to watch for it but all application installs provide the abiity to change drive letters.

All files and set-up applications can be transfered in Windows Explorer by drag & drop or copy/cut - paste.

All applications have to be re-installed. Their are some third party applications that will move an application but I've never been happy with the results.

To trully square this up you may need to start over....

Bill

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.