Question

Renamed a folder, now 90% of it's content are GONE! Please h

As the title says, just earlier today I changed a file from 'August Projects' to 'September Projects'.
A few hours later I went into the folder to arrange files and I noticed that instead of 40 or so file folders, there were only 6!!
What the hell? What could have happened here?

(I'm a musician/producer)
This is the most current/important things I have been working on, and it is imperative to recover these some how. I do not believe they are completely gone, just 'hidden'.

Please and thank you so much for any help
- these files are a big part of the life I'm trying to create. I was JUST about to back everything up together on an external hard drive..

I'm running OSX 10.6.8

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Renamed a folder, now 90% of it's content are GONE! Please h
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Renamed a folder, now 90% of it's content are GONE! Please h
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
If this is as important as you say it is,

STOP using the machine right now and call DriveSavers on 800.440.1904 or 415.382.2000
It's going to cost you, big time, but you may feel that it is worth it.

The less you use this machine, the greater the chances of successful data recovery.

Although your situation is not unusual, I am still surprised and disappointed at the number of people who make a living on their computers, Windows and Mac, that were "just about to back everything up"!
It's especially annoying when it is a Mac user who has an external drive but ignores the Time Machine software, which would have solved this problem in 30 seconds or less, and who does not have a back routine of any sort.

"You only lose what you don't backup" is used a lot on these forums, along with "If you are not backing it up, you don't care if it goes away"

Good Luck with the recovery, let us know how it all turns out.

P

- Collapse -
Thanks

I will definitely try giving them a call, thanks.

And I was "just about to back everything up". I like to keep my files organized, I dont just back up one time after another.
So I do mass back ups periodically. Just bad timing.

I'm not interesting in using Time Machine

I'll respond with any news

- Collapse -
Answer
Not interested in using Time Machine?

But you don't have to be interested.

Time Machine works in the background and you only have to be interested in it if you accidentally lose something. It could cost hundreds of dollars to recover files using a data recovery service. Time Machine is free and is part of OS X.

I urge you to set up Time Machine, (found in System Preferences) after you've resolved your issue. If you never need it, consider yourself lucky, but it's probably one of the best features of Mac OS X, since you can recover stuff you accidentally deleted days, weeks and sometimes months earlier.

- Collapse -
I fear you are speaking to deaf ears.

While I agree with everything you said, and had considered responding to the OP's statement, I decided not to as the OP was adamant about "keeping his files organized" and "not interesting in using Time Machine"
I thought then that he probably really did not know what Time Machine did or how it worked.

Hopefully he will 'see the light" if he has to fork out a bunch of money for something that could easily have been recovered from.

P

- Collapse -
Not interested in using Time Machine?

Time Machine is essential, absolutely essential and if you have a few Tb external HDs you can recall stuff from years ago. Iv'e had this pleasure with clients loosing stuff and there it is in TM. On the hour every hour in the background. Safe as, easy as and its cheaper than insurance.<div style="background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 191); border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; height: auto; line-height: normal; text-align: left; width: auto; direction: ltr; z-index: 99995; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; "></div>

- Collapse -
Answer
Time Machine is your friend

I am so sorry to hear about the mess with your files. As someone whose life work is also on a computer, I cannot stress enough how easy Time Machine is to use and how valuable it is. On my iMac I keep a hard drive attached and it easily gets the job done without me noticing almost any lag in performance. On my MacBook Pro, I do have to attach an external drive every-so-often. My hard drive did die at one point and after it was replaced, I just attached my external Time Machine drive and all files and software were restored. I didn't have to redo settings or anything, just went back to work. The initial backup will take a little while but not that long. Just hook it up and go make some music. Incremental backups are just not a big deal.

But I am so dependent on the contents of my computer, that I also use Crash Plan, which is essentially a cloud backup system with good reviews. I haven't had to use it for a restore, but the peace of mind I have with this two-level system is a big deal to me.

Good luck to you.

- Collapse -
Backing up Mac

I've never used Time Machine but I'm thinking of starting. Instead I have three external Firewire drives and I clone my hard drive (using Super Duper) to one of them, or to my laptop, once a week. I think Super Duper is one of the absolutely essential applications. Still, I know you can lose a lot of essential data in the blink of an eye and it can be very painful, so I guess I'll get into Time Machine.

I also run NTI Shadow, which backs up my user files to a second internal drive, but I've never put it to a test.

My main machine is a 9-year-old Mac G5 tower d.p. 1.8Ghz, running OSX 10.5.8. Flat out the best computer I've ever owned, but it can't run much of the newer software, so it probably will be replaced before long.

CNET Forums