Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Removing Webroot Antivirus

by MasterPenguin / April 16, 2010 9:15 PM PDT

Well, I'm having quite some difficulties removing this program, but not just the normal way.. Initially, I had it installed, and it worked fine. My time ran out, and I didn't like it enough to renew it. So I uninstalled it, and it disappeared fine. But, a month later, I did a System Restore, to apparently a time where I still had it, and now, it just keeps bugging me.

Every time windows starts up - Webroot asks me for my CD-Key...Which I no longer have (and probably wouldn't work even if I had kept it.) So, I check out Add-Remove Programs, and click uninstall on it. "Message File "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\unins002.msg" is missing. Please correct the problem or obtain a new copy of the program." Damn.

So before I go and download a free trial, and see if that can remove it, I decide to try deleting the folder the normal way. I head over to the path that was just stated above, and click delete. I give it admin permission (as I'm on Vista, Home Premium), and away it goes...Or so I thought. It keeps asking for admin permission, even though I gave it some.

So, one last try. I google for a trial version of Spy Sweeper, and see if that can uninstall it. Downloads fine, but all it wants to do is install a new version. Damn.

So, any tips on how I could remove this program? If you guys need any more info, I'll be glad to fork some out, though I'm pretty sure all you ned to know is that I'm Vista.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Removing Webroot Antivirus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Removing Webroot Antivirus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Removal
by Phil Crase / April 16, 2010 10:24 PM PDT

Try removing it from the registry, start, run, regedit. At the registry window go to edit, then find, type in item name, if file(s) appear listed under the item name, right click delete. Good luck!

Collapse -
Did You Try The Cleanup Tool?
by Carol~ Moderator / April 18, 2010 12:32 AM PDT

MP..

Scroll down to "Remove Webroot" at the bottom of the page. Where you see "remove" under #1, click on it and download the SSECleanup.zip. Extract the SSECleanup.exe and run it. You might want to try running it in Safe Mode. Hopefully, it will help. If it doesn't, give the free version of the Revo Uninstaller a try.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Trying Cleanup tool
by MasterPenguin / April 19, 2010 6:36 AM PDT

Sorry for the delayed response, been a bit busy. I tried downloading the SSECleanup.zip and running it - didn't work. Tried safe mode, no-go either. (Obviously gave it admin permission for both attempts.)

I haven't given Revo Uninstaller a try yet - downloading it as we speak. As for the registry suggestion, I'm not quite comfortable messing with it, so I'm not going to give that method a shot.

Currently, I've simply removed it off my startup, which has pretty much made me forget about it, hallelujah. So I'll edit this post (or make another) when I get some more time and see if it works out.

Collapse -
The Cleanup Tool...
by Carol~ Moderator / April 19, 2010 9:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Trying Cleanup tool

MP..

When you ran the SSCCleanup.exe, did you get as far as being prompted to accept the license agreement? After exiting the program, and stopping it from running, it should have been the very first thing you saw, before the cleanup process began.

If it didn't work.. it didn't work. Sad Far be it for me to argue the point. With that said, they do make it extremely difficult to remove. You're not the first to ask. From what I hear, they request "your first born", before they'll make the tool available! <== An exaggeration. But only slight. Silly

Something else to try, even if the Revo Uninstaller ( FAQ - Advanced Mode) works. I would also install and run CCleaner's slim build. The slim build, which comes without the (unnecessary) toolbar, is at the very bottom of the list. It's free and safe to use.

You say you removed it from startup, and it's "pretty much made you forget about it". Well.. that's one way to go. Out of sight.. out of mind!

Furthered good luck!
Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?