Computer Help forum

General discussion

removing/rollbacking WMP11

by ForumStudent / December 27, 2009 12:04 PM PST

Hello I'm trying to remove or rollback WMP11 because I believe my Windows media sharing is corrupted and I want to reinstall it:
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1404/errormq.jpg

I tried changing the "Log On" settings which started the service however I don't believe its working right (I'm using it for my xbox 360 and its not showing up on my xbox)

I've tried the control panel however it just asks me rollback and says its completed (after 2 seconds) and nothing happens. I also tried "%windir%\$ntUninstallwmp11$\spuninst\spuninst.exe" which didn't work (location not there error)

Is there anything else I can try?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: removing/rollbacking WMP11
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: removing/rollbacking WMP11
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No Mentioned Of Operating System Involved.. But...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 28, 2009 3:37 AM PST
Collapse -
by ForumStudent / December 28, 2009 3:51 AM PST

Yeah I also tried it in safe mode but it has the same effect when removing it normally (aka it doesn't remove)

Collapse -
Still No Mention Of Operating System
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 28, 2009 6:07 AM PST
In reply to: reply

For example, if you have Windows Vista, then you can't uninstall WMP 11 as it's part of the operating system.. You can only disable it from the Control Panel.

If you do actually have Windows XP, then I would attempt to reinstall WMP 11, then uninstall it again.(Download the manual installer from THIS LINK. It may request a "repair" but even that should install it correctly again.

And because the computer indicates the uninstall file isn't there, then you may have removed the file with an automatic cleaner program or by deleting the location manually.. In that case, there may be no other solution than to reinstall Windows from scratch.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by ForumStudent / December 28, 2009 7:17 AM PST

Yes I do have xp. I'll give it a try.

Collapse -
after reinstalling
by ForumStudent / December 28, 2009 7:44 AM PST

after reinstalling I still get the same results as my first post.

Collapse -
So What Happens If You Manually Look For??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 28, 2009 8:20 AM PST
In reply to: after reinstalling

...this file?:

%windir%\$ntUninstallwmp11$\spuninst\spuninst.exe

If you see a "spuninst.exe" file, double click on the file and see if it uninstalls. (Make sure you have Hidden and system files showing in your Windows Explorer\Tools\Folder Options section.)

Or as a last resort, use the Revo Uninstaller:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by ForumStudent / December 28, 2009 8:42 AM PST

Well I run "%windir%\$ntUninstallwmp11$\spuninst\spuninst.exe" and I get an error:

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/4089/errorxjl.jpg

I search for the file and is at "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution.old\Download\d51648e96c60b005ac5ef56d831670cb", and when I run it I get an error:

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/6737/error2h.jpg

I already tried using Revo Uninstaller (forgot to say this), but it doesn't work since it still uses the windows media player uninstaller which doesn't work, but after it says its removed (which its not) it says there are files and registry left over that I can remove. Should I try removing them?

Collapse -
Yes, You Can Manually Remove Those Files But...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 28, 2009 11:57 PM PST

I didn't ask you to Run, the entire string.. I asked you what happens when you manually search for and double click on the "spuninst.exe" file which resides in the C:\Windows\$ntUninstallwmp11$\spuninst\ folder? Is it there or not? If not, then it was somehow deleted by you or an automatic tool of some sort?

Although manually removing the files should remove the program, it also might foul up any rollback options you've got.. As such, do so at your own risk..

Are you aware, there are other media players which are not so troublesome? VLC, etc.. Have you tried them?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by ForumStudent / December 29, 2009 1:13 AM PST

There is no folder "C:\Windows\$ntUninstallwmp11$\spuninst\" and there is "NO" way I deleted or used any program to delete it.

I there anyway someone could upload it? and yes I'm aware there are other media players but as I said in my first post I'm using this for streaming videos from my pc to my xbox360.

I do see

Collapse -
If You've Ever Used System Restore
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 1:59 AM PST

It can occasionally remove such uninstall items.. And no, there's really no way to "upload" the uninstall file and instructions there.. It has to be part of the original installations..

As such, your final step may be a repair installation of Windows.

See another OLD discussion here about your situation.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6138_102-0.html?threadID=226441

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by ForumStudent / December 30, 2009 9:07 AM PST

I believe this all started after I used system restore, however I reformatted my computer and everything is working right. Thanks for the help anyways.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?