PC Hardware forum

Question

Removing riplock on asus ASUS BW-12D1S-U

by exceed450 / February 19, 2015 5:18 PM PST

I bought a new drive only to rip my dvd collection and i choose a fast on at 16x, but to my surprise and disappointment i see that the drive is riplocked. I did a lot of research to check that it wasnt in fact riplocked but it is unfortunately.

I have read a lot of articles and done a lot of research to try to find out how to remove this riplock and i found out that the asus drive is actually a rebranded pioneer drive (bdr-206) and that this firmware should do the job BDR-206_FW106EU (found at files.rpc1.org) but when im running it i get a DOS window saying that the firmware has started but right after im getting an error message saying "Available target not found". The drive is connected by using usb 3.0 and its external.

Its now ripping at 2.5x instead of 16x because of the riplock.
I would really appriciate any help on getting this drive to rip at 16x.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Removing riplock on asus ASUS BW-12D1S-U
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Removing riplock on asus ASUS BW-12D1S-U
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2015 10:28 PM PST
http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/ only notes specific drives. If you need this drive then you get with the authors of the patch and ask for them to fix your model.

That's a lot of time to invest so now you know to shop for models that support what you want to do.
Bob
Collapse -
hard to find good drives
by exceed450 / February 19, 2015 10:47 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry no.

Thanks for answering.
Its not easy to find a drive thats not riplocked, i havent found a list anywhere.
The other site i linked to included a firmware that should have worked but didnt.
The program you list does have drives listed but im not sure if the program would actually work to remove the riplock.

Is there any known drives out there that doesnt have this riplock?

Collapse -
Wait a minute.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2015 10:50 PM PST

The link I supplied gave a list of supported models for that patch. I did not go looking for a non-riplock list since you could do that. I went looking for a patch for your model and this was the find so far.

The reason behind all this is on the web so I didn't broach that subject.
Bob

Collapse -
Not in stock anymore?
by exceed450 / February 20, 2015 12:00 AM PST
In reply to: Wait a minute.

I thought it would be easiest to go get a nec drive but seems like they are not around anymore..since then i could at least use necflash to flash it (at least it should work in according to the binfash site). The site i mentioned in the first post i likely to have the same problem as the one you posted, a modified firmware was even available for my drive and it just didnt work..and i did do quite a bit of research to find out that the file would be compatible.

At least thanks for answering, you are the only person who has answerd in x forums ive tryed to get help at least.

Collapse -
My solution. Some find it unacceptable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2015 3:58 AM PST
In reply to: Not in stock anymore?

I wanted to rip 20 things so I setup the PC to do that and it would churn it out every hour or so. I didn't give it any thought as to speed since it would be done in a few days. I guess if I was not patient then it could get to me.
Bob

Collapse -
If you have a smaller collection..
by exceed450 / February 22, 2015 5:23 PM PST

Well if you only have 20 things then i dont think many would mind the speed but i have hundreds of dvds i think or somewhere around that so 20 min vs 4 min is a pretty big difference in time it will take

Collapse -
Sorry even there I won't matter to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2015 12:56 AM PST

I start with what I want in my collection now and then add the rest over time. There are some that "want it now" and will pay for it. Me I can work it over a year and get to my goal.
Bob

Collapse -
You do have a good point
by exceed450 / February 23, 2015 3:42 AM PST

You have a good point there, why am i obsessing about how long this takes.. i guess its part of how things are these days with the "i want it right now" you say..but i kinda want it right now though Happy ..anyway..i can certainly wait for these dvds to be ripped actually..im not really in a rush to get it done..i guess its kind of like "now im done with that and can focus on other things" kind of way also but since its only running in the background that really shouldnt matter too much.. another thing is that "the vendor advised it as 16x" and i think i should be provided with the features of the blueray burner that i bought..having it as 2.5x i could just have used my 10 year old burner so its wasted money..but i could return the item though

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.