Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

removing QuickTime and all its components

by mittens / July 5, 2005 8:44 PM PDT

I foolishly installed QuickTime six months ago, and when I uninstalled it, only parts of it left. The rest had to be removed, one piece at a time (and there were hundreds) from the registry, from the search files and folders section, even from Ztree.
I have spybot, and it shows two ActiveX files that keep returning after every reboot. One cannot delete them directly from spybot, but must first go into the registry and remove them manually, and then delete them from spybot.
at the next reboot they're back.
Ordinarily I'd ignore something like this, but it seems that if I leave them there over time more little bits of QT begin appearing, one file at a time.

Is there an easy fix (or any fix) for this, or is it necessary? Am I missig a key element here?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: removing QuickTime and all its components
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: removing QuickTime and all its components
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This
by Blue_Zee / July 5, 2005 9:11 PM PDT
Collapse -
thank you
by mittens / July 5, 2005 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: This

im going to try that semicolon in the registry--my main problem is not qttask, but the two active x files that keep appearing. There has to be something in there, somewhere, that keeps bringing them back. other than that, my computer is clean, it has panicware, spybot, norton, a firewall...I may try adding quick time and all its parts,one at a time, to the firewall, see if that will stop it.
worth a try.

Collapse -
nothing works
by mittens / July 19, 2005 12:13 PM PDT
In reply to: This

I have learned more about quicktime, aol, and the registry in the past two weeks than you can imagine. I have donwloaded hijackthis, and run a check with it at every reboot, and the two active x files return like hungry puppies.
There is simply nothing in the registry any longer that resembles any single file of quicktime. I even went through the registry file extensions and checked out every one of them online, as to what they were and who supported them.
Nothing.
Hijackthis has been set to delete these two active X numbers at startup, but it never works.

5321E378-FFAD-4999-8C62-03CA8155F0B3

02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B

I would appreciate any other suggestions on this. and while the semicolon is a dandy way to comment out something in the registry, it simply does not work with these. I tried it. what I then get is two NEW X numbers, just below the commented out ones. sigh.
I am running windows ME, IE 5.50.
The reason they are never picked up by norton, spybot, hijackthis, or anything else, is that they are NOT spyware. they are just two bits that got left behind when I uninstalled QuickTime.

Collapse -
Have you tried...
by Aivas / July 21, 2005 6:34 AM PDT
In reply to: nothing works

Dynamite?

(I know, not quite what you need, but it's tempting, sometimes)

Bob K.

Collapse -
dynomite suggestion
by mittens / July 21, 2005 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Have you tried...

That has occurred to me, bob. That or an over-under...

Actually I did find out that those two Active X extensions are particularly lethal forms of Cool Web Search, a hijakcer/trojan thingy that morphs every few weeks, making it almost impossible to keep up with.
I downloaded CWShredder, and it found nothing, but the current version is listed as back in April or May, I believe, and this has just surfaced since then, to my knowledge. I have also downloaded the latest version of spybot, which found a new little beast, as well as a few things that cannot be removed without locking up the entire program and forcing me to reboot.
http://www.richardthelionhearted.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html is a good place, as near as I can find, to read about this thing--and it explains far more about its track record than I ever wanted to know.
I don't feel too concerned, since I have Hijack this set to show it when it returns after a reboot, and I can delete it quickly and manually every time.
My concern would be if it sat in the registry, clawing and drooling...

and this one http://www.spyware-removal-guideline.com/coolwebsearch-removal is pretty cool, too. I keep thinking, WHY. Why do people do this sort of crap?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?