Computer Help forum

General discussion

Removing programs from list - Guest ONLY

I want to remove programs from the "All Programs" list for the guest user BUT I do not want those removed from my user list.

There would be no need for the Guest user to use all the Paint Shop Pro or other designer programs because anyone that signs on as a guest is usually wanting to check their e-mail or use the internet.

Is this possible? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Removing programs from list - Guest ONLY
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Removing programs from list - Guest ONLY
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes...

In reply to: Removing programs from list - Guest ONLY

1.) Log into your account.
2.) Right-click the Start button and select Open.
3.) Right-click the Start button and select Open All Users.
4.) Open the Programs folder in both windows.
5.) Cut-and-paste any shortcuts from the "all users" directory into your own directory.

Note that if you have multiple user accounts on the computer you will then have to copy-and-paste the shortcuts to each other user's respective directories. If there are numerous users it can be tedious, but it's the only way.

Also keep in mind that they can still launch the programs by going into C:\Program Files. If you don't want that to happen you'll have to set permissions or impose other access restrictions on the user account.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
try this

In reply to: Removing programs from list - Guest ONLY

i have an easier way, i think. you can go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer and create a new DWORD called NoCommonGroups and make the value 1. then you can go to the guest account: ex. C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Start menu\Programs and you can specify what programs what user has access to.

hope that helps

Collapse -
try this - Removing programs from Guest user only

In reply to: try this

Both answers sound like it would help solve my problem. What I'm trying to do is keep those from being a choice so I like that Tyler's response sounds like it would do that.

My computer skills, however, are limited to very good as a user; very poor as a problem solver so I really don't understand how to get to HKEY_CURRENT_USER . . .

If you can direct me better, I certainly would appreciate. I know I have a lot of graphic software that no other user would really need access to. Without it showing in the list, it keeps my "BUSINESS" private so no one can fuss about my "junk" (LOL).

In your sentence "then you can go to the guest account: ex. C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Start menu\Programs and you can specify what programs what user has access to." Will selecting Guest\Start Menu\Programs also show everything that is listed when the Guest user selects All Programs? I actually right clicked on Start, selected Explore and went to Guest, etc. but did not see all there that does appear when signed on as Guest.

Anything you can provide to help me better understand would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Collapse -
alright

In reply to: try this - Removing programs from Guest user only

to get to the HKEY go to start>run> regedit. now, before you do that, you need to make the guest account admin, then log on to that guest account. to make it admin, go to control panel, user accounts, and click on Guest, change account type, and make it computer administrator. then logon to the Guest account. go to the HKEY i stated above and do what i stated in the other post, the NoCommonGroups thing. When that is done, hit F5(refresh) while still intthe registry editor, then close it, and go to start, All programs, and there should be a limited amount of programs there. it should have the Accessories folder, and maybe a few other things.

Now, still on the guest account, go to C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Start Menu\Programs. in another window open C:\Program Files. then in the Program files, find what pgms you want the guest to have access to, and say the program is Spybot S & D, then locate that folder in the Program Files, open the Spybot folder, right click on the Spybot S & D.exe file, and select send to desktop as shortcut. do the same for all the programs you want on the guest account.
then go back to the window of Start Menu, Programs. then drag all the shortcuts you put on the desktop to the folder. close all the windows, and see if it works.

let me knwo

Collapse -
That will work, but...

In reply to: alright

That option has one primary benefit over my suggestion: Most programs installed in the future will not appear on the Guest's Start Menu, whereas with mine you'd have to remove the shortcuts after each installation if you don't want them listed.

However, keep in mind that it still doesn't prevent the guest from browsing to C:\Program Files and launching the software from there.

John

Collapse -
right you are

In reply to: That will work, but...

so if you want to REALLY restrict users from running programs you can do the following.

logon to the guest account again, make sure it is still admin. go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies and make a new Key named disallowrun and in the Policies folder add a new DWORD called disallowrun and set the value to 1.

then go to the disallowrun folder. add a new String value named 1. double click the "1" and put the .exe you want to restrict. ex.

SpybotS&D.exe

then push enter. and do the same thing for all the other programs you dont want the Guest to run. But name each String value a different number: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and so on.

good luck

Collapse -
RE: Right you are :o)

In reply to: right you are

Sounds like no matter which option I choose, I've got my work cut out for me.

No worries. I may leave things as they are for now simply because it will be months before I have anyone that will need to use my computer.

Unfortunately for now, my time is consumed with trying to understand SwishMax! I'm in Marketing and we have provided LCD screens in our new office location, which requires ads. It's fun but it entails a lot that I know nothing about!

Again, thank you both for your help. I'll keep this bookmarked for reference and let you know how it goes.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.