General discussion

Removing Printers & Faxes from share

Whenever others try to access my PC(\\192.168.1.132) in LAN, Printers & faxes Folder appears on my Share always even though I haven't shared any Printers or Faxes.It looks very awkward. In one of the site I learned that if u delete registry key namely

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}]
@="Printers" ,shared printers & faxes will be removed.

But after deleting it when I access my PC by typing \\192.168.1.132 (that is my IP) the Printers & Faxes seems to have disappeared but when others try to access my machine they still see my Printers & Faxes shared folder.

How can I get rid of it ?

Please Help.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Removing Printers & Faxes from share
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Removing Printers & Faxes from share
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I've never done this myself, but

can't you simply "Unshare" your Printer folder?

If you open the Printer and Faxes link in the Start menu, then right click the printer you don't want to share, select Sharing, then de-select it.

In the other systems, go to their Network Places and delete the printer folders.

Or is that me being too simple?

Mark

- Collapse -
No that won't work

See, Its not the printer that is shared (and I havn't shared any).But it is the Printers & Faxes Folder itself that appears to be shared and I don know how to remove it.

- Collapse -
Just one thing.

Do you know what you see in the Network Neighborhood is "cached"? Just because you drop or disable a share does not mean it will vanish the next time they look at NN.
Bob

CNET Forums