Computer Help forum

General discussion

Removing NTDetect

by JimInDC / August 8, 2008 12:51 PM PDT

Hi!

I have a HP Pavilion a824n. I've upgraded my hard drive from a 200gig to 1tb.
After I transfered all the existing info to the new drive, I formatted the old drive and put it in an external case. New drive is working perfectly.
Unfortunately when I boot the computer, the computer somehow thinks the old 200g is still my boot drive and is trying to use it to boot. It is giving me the error "NTLDR not found..."
I've done some searching and found out that this is caused by NTDetect wanting to boot off the 200g drive, but I can't find out how to fix it.
My temporary solution is to leave the external hard drive powered down when I boot the computer, and then power it up after Windows is loaded. It functions perfectly normally when I do this, however this is a clunky and annoying way to do things.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

JIM

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Removing NTDetect
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Removing NTDetect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BIOS
by AceCT-2214807889169935659 / August 13, 2008 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Removing NTDetect

Sounds like you need to change the boot order in your BIOS. If the computer is looking to the external to book, go into the BIOS and change the boot order so it looks to an internal HDD first.

Collapse -
Already tried that...
by JimInDC / August 13, 2008 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: BIOS

I already set the boot order to HDD first, but the BIOS has no way to designate which order you want it to see the HDD's. I would think it would normally boot off of what would be the "C" drive before anything else, but instead it is grabbing this external drive which is connected to the computer via a USB cable. Strange.

Thanks!

JIM

Collapse -
Link about
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2008 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Already tried that...
Collapse -
I think this is exactly the problem...
by JimInDC / August 13, 2008 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Link about
Collapse -
just like a floppy
by AceCT-2214807889169935659 / August 13, 2008 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Already tried that...

If your BIOS is not going to give you the option to force the boot from an internal drive then you are going to have to treat the external drive like a floppy disk. Your computer will not boot if there is a floppy in the drive and it won't boot if the external drive is connected either. Its a slight inconvenience but other than a BIOS change im not sure there is a way to do what you are trying to do. That early in the boot, no software that I know of is going to help you other than loading a different BIOS which can be hit or miss. I have seen computers where you can't boot with an external attached and it is just one of those things. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.