Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Removing Norton

by newg / October 20, 2006 8:12 AM PDT

Hi,
I'm removing Norton from my system. I have gotten rid of all the Norton files but the Symantec files say some of the stuff in them is being used by other programs. Should I delete these anyway or just leave them? I am going with AVG for virus protection and someone told me to get rid of all the Norton stuff first because it may cause problems with the new program.
Thanks for your time, Gwen

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Removing Norton
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Removing Norton
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Removing Norton
by Tufenuf / October 20, 2006 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Removing Norton
Collapse -
I did use
by newg / October 20, 2006 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Removing Norton

the norton removal tool but when I did a search I still found norton files on the computer. I deleted them all and when I did a search for symantec there were lots of files still on the computer. So are the symantec files only used for the virus protection and can I delete them too? I went to the pages you noted but this still didn't answer my question. Thank you so much for your help, Gwen.

Collapse -
After Norton is uninstalled. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 20, 2006 11:06 PM PDT
In reply to: I did use

Reboot into safe mode and delete the files/folders. Reboot into normal mode and run CCleaner (free) to remove all Norton registry entries.

Collapse -
Removing Norton
by erictran / October 20, 2006 11:06 PM PDT

Use any registry search program to remove it . I use jv16 power tools ver 1.30 (old) is free . If you need it , let me know , i can upload it for you.
Norton is now " pain in the neck" . Once , i love it . NOW i hate it . I have feeling that they treat everyone as a pirate .OVERPROTECTION ????
I go for AVG or Avast, even Microsoft rather than Norton.

Collapse -
Thanks for your help and what I did
by newg / October 22, 2006 3:34 AM PDT

to get rid of Norton and it seems to have worked. I found the info on the internet.

Generally, you remove applications by using the Windows utility for the task, but Norton Antivirus tends to get in a bit deeper into the system, so it's tricker to remove it completely. Here's how you can do that:
Go to Start --> Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs.
Scroll down to your Norton program
Click Change --> Remove All.
You will be asked to restart your PC. Do so.
Now go to Start --> My Computer --> Program Files. Right click on each Symantec folder and select Delete.
While you are in Program Files go to the Common Files folder at or near the top of the Program Files window. Delete every Symantec folder there. And, again, restart your PC.
Go to Start --> Search --> All Files and Folders --> More Advanced Options. Check each option except for "Case sensitive"
Now type in Norton and delete each Norton folder from the search results (Again, right click, choose "Delete"). One more time, restart your PC.
Repeat step 5 except type Symantec in the "Search" box.
The next step is trickier: go into the Registry.
First thing to do is Back up the Registry. I'll be saying more about the Registry later. But suffice it to say that the presence of uninstalled security software in the Registry can conflict with newly installed security software and cause system freezes. So can folders of "uninstalled" programs for that matter.
Once again, go to Start, then click on "Run". Type in "regedit"
Go to the top of the Regedit window. Click (+) next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Go down the thread until you see Software. Click on Software and scroll down the thread until you see Symantec. Right click on Symantec and choose "Delete".
From there go down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and repeat step 3. Restart your PC.
Click (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, now: Click (+) next to Software, Click (+) next to Microsoft, Click (+) next to Windows and Click (+) next to CurrentVersion.
Select the Run folder. Right-click and delete each Symantec entry you see (if present). Restart your PC.
That should completely eradicate Norton Antivirus from your system!

I had the same trouble with Norton/symantec and had to use regedit to get rid of it. Go to start, run, and type regedit in the command line. In regedit, to to edit, find, and type NORTON, then find. It will find a regestry entry and stop on it, click edit and delete and press f3 key to proceed to next one and keep repeating this until it tells you there are no more. Repeat this process with NAV and SYMANTEC typed in the find line until they are all gone to. This is a pain in the *** way to do it, but it will remove all registry entries in the O/S thus disabling and removing the ability for the program to run. Use a utility like SYSTEM MECHANIC to remove junk files and unused program remnants from your system. Hope this helps. (NOTE: watch the NAV because some of it has nothing to do with Norton)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!