Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Removing Norton

Although I have tried uninstalling all my Symantec Norton Anti-virus programs using CONTROL PANEL | ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS, START | SEARCH, FILE FINDER, and deleting references to Symantec and Norton in the REGISTRY, (plus deleting nmain.exe), it still remains to haunt me. I have now installed AVG Free, and it says it is working, but I get no references on my incoming and outgoing email. Instead, what I do get is the following phrase when I check the BLAH in Eudora:

X-Firus-Scanned: Symantec AntiVirus Scan Engine

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Removing Norton
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Removing Norton
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Removing Norton

In reply to: Removing Norton

Go to the Norton website. They have a program that will
do this.

Collapse -
Removing Norton

Have already removed everything I could get at. Symantec tried to help me uninstall Norton from another computer, but finally gave up and sent refund. I was only able to get rid of it, finally, with a third party uninstall program

Collapse -
You reached symantec support ? - You rule!!!

How did you do it?

Hopefully you got help with this - I used the utility from their site and it worked.

My rule of thumb, for what it's worth: "Don't buy anything from Symantec - if it comes installed, remove it before you do anything else"

I have other posts on this subject, I encourage everyone to read them.

Collapse -
Removing Norton

In reply to: You reached symantec support ? - You rule!!!

Requested help from Symantec re: Norton AV, when I had difficulty with another computer, and they did reply. Was told to uninstall the program, then reinstall. Could not remove it, even though they kept sending lists of things to do. Finally removed it using a third party uninstall program. Recent events: Even though I thought I had succeeded in getting Norton out of this computer, with everyone's help, just noticed a reference to Symantec Anti-Virus in Eudora's ''Blah,Blah'' in a test message to myself. Also have seen only the one reference to AVG Free's anti-virus test on my incoming email messages. Seems Symanted/Norton are still lurking somewhere.

Collapse -
use reg edit

I had the same trouble with Norton/symantec and had to use regedit to get rid of it. Go to start, run, and type regedit in the command line. In regedit, to to edit, find, and type NORTON, then find. It will find a regestry entry and stop on it, click edit and delete and press f3 key to proceed to next one and keep repeating this until it tells you there are no more. Repeat this process with NAV and SYMANTEC typed in the find line until they are all gone to. This is a pain in the *** way to do it, but it will remove all registry entries in the O/S thus disabling and removing the ability for the program to run. Use a utility like SYSTEM MECHANIC to remove junk files and unused program remnants from your system. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
I Agree

In reply to: You reached symantec support ? - You rule!!!

Immediatley uninstall Norton. My friend was ripped off because he just purchased a new computer, and was unable to switch the Norton to the new computer because he din't have the original credit card number.
His bank was bought out and he was issued new credit cards and was not helpful in giving out the former account number because the account(s) were closed.....Incredible ''Catch 22''. He had to write off $39.95 after three weeks service.

I find Trend Micro Pc-Cillin although not free, quite reliable, and almost daily updates. Sometime two or three a day. Always stable comes with antispy, and antispam apps.

Collapse -
Removing Norton

tried this many times on my 2 computers, but not working...

Collapse -
Norton

I had the same problem norton does'ent like being uninstalled.It nearly always leaves something behind.I fixed it by going into start-search-all files and folders then inserting norton in the box when norton files came up I right clicked and sent them to the recycle bin by clicking delete.then I emptied the recycle bin.Now I know a bit more it may have been possible to do a system restore to before norton was installed I've not tried this so I dont know if it would work.

Collapse -
Removing Norton

In reply to: Norton

After all my uninstalling, deleting, etc., have finally found a remaining reference to Norton in the system tray, but don't know how to get at it. In the "Right click START | PROPERTIES | TASKBAR AND START MENU PROPERTIES | TASKBAR | CUSTOMIZE | CUSTOMIZE NOTIFICATIONS," there are these two items:

(1) Norton Anti-Virus Protect (show, hide when inactive, or hide)
(2) Symantec Email Scanner (show, hide when inactive, or hide)

Any ideas on finding a way to delete them would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
If you just put them to

hide, they won't hurt anything in there and shouldn't show in the tray anymore. I'm not positive on this but I THINK that removing them completely from there involves going into the registry. I would just put them to "hide" and not worry about it.

Collapse -
Removing Norton

In reply to: If you just put them to

They do seem to have an effect, since my Eudora email incomings show "X-Virus-Scanned: Symantec AntiVirus Scan Engine." I don't mind going into REGEDIT, but don't know where to go, since I have already removed any references I found there to either Norton or Symantec. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Tufenuf has a solution below this post.

Collapse -
Re: Removing Norton

kittykatty,
"(1) Norton Anti-Virus Protect (show, hide when inactive, or hide)
(2) Symantec Email Scanner (show, hide when inactive, or hide)"

If the above items are listed under "Past Items" follow the instructions at the link below to get rid of them.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/notification_area.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
bit of a con

In reply to: Re: Removing Norton

Hi Tufenuff this page seems a bit of a con to me I tried PC bug doctor I know it of old scanned my pc and found 49 problems but to delete I would have to pay.Tried windows registry repair scanned my PC and found 163 problems but would only delete 15 until I paid for full version.Used my own checker Registry Mechanic scanned and found 16 problems repaired them all did'ent have to pay I got this free with something else I downloaded about 6 months ago.I did'ent check the rest but I suspect you would have to pay to get your problems fixed on these as well.If you surf the net free ones can be found.

Collapse -
Removing Norton

Wow! That did it. All traces of Norton are now gone, and "Checked by AVG Anti-Virus, etc." is now showing up on my incoming and outgoing email messages in Eudora. This is a happy day. Thanks for everyone's help.

Collapse -
Re: Removing Norton

kittykatty, Glad to see that all is now AOK and Thanks for posting back to let us know.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Sorry

Sorry Tufenuf I've done my normal impulsive trick of going straight in.I've relooked at the page its a very interesting site with a lot of content glad the problems now been solved.

Collapse -
removing norton

I just signed up for this forum and apologize for jumping in the middle of this but I too, have been trying to remove norton - with little success.

In reference to your comment ''Wow! That did it'', what was the ''that'' that did it? I tried to follow the previous discussion, but I'm not sure what you were refering to.

I was all set to start using regedit as ''tufluke'' suggested, when I read the message about making a backup of my registry first. I'm not sure how to do this. Where do I find ''System Restore''? Does that backup the registry or just restore it if it's previously been backed up? Would it be better to use 'erdnt (aka erunt)' or 'Winret', and do those programs do both the backup and restore?

I guess I'm a little gunshy about messing around with the registry as I've been told that you shouldn't do that unless you really know what you're doing - and it should be fairly obvious that I don't.

Collapse -
for xray re: removing Norton

In reply to: removing norton

Do you mind me asking a really dumb question? Were you offline or online when you tried to remove Norton?
Sometimes that could make all the difference. I knew I had to be offline to remove Norton, which is why I never ever had any problems. But when it came to removing Zone Alarm Pro, the penny did not drop, and it was MONTHS before I figured out I should be OFFLINE before mucking about with anything to do with security. If I were in your shoes, I'd be phoning Symantec on their 1800680026 phone number. That's if you are in Australia. They would be more than helpful. They were top-notch when I needed help.They bent over backwards to help me.Good Luck.

Collapse -
Removing Norton

In reply to: for xray re: removing Norton

I was always offline during my various attempts to complete the removal of Norton. Their techs tried to help me remove it, via many, many emails, since they had said in order to correct a problem with it, I should first uninstall it. They finally gave up, and sent me a refund. I had trouble once before with trying to remove it from another computer - guess I've learned my lesson in that regard.

Collapse -
Symantic-Norton Uninstall

You also have to delete any files for 'Live update'regarding Symantec and folders marked 'Vox (right click to be sure it is a Norton vox folder/file).Vox is usually sitting at the bottom of your root folder{ C-drive}and may have copies in Application foldersfor the Administrator,User,and/or All Users.In Start ,Run,regedit [regedit.exe] in 'find and then 'find next,find next,find next',go thru the registry and delete all referrences to Symantic and Norton.Needless to say ,first make a backup of your registry.To do this and to be able to restore if necessary,use System Restore,Windows built in Backup and restore program or download a superb program like 'erdnt (aka erunt)' or 'Winret'.

Collapse -
Removing Norton

In reply to: Symantic-Norton Uninstall

Have not found any Vox files. Have not found any "live updates," but may not have known where to look. Have gone through regedit several times, deleting all references to Norton and Symantec, since they seem to come back sometimes.

Collapse -
Norton removal

After removing everything you could, without success, give a try to TweakNow RegCleaner free program. Worked great for me.

Collapse -
Norton Removal

In reply to: Norton removal

Just downloaded, installed, and used "TweakNow RegCleaner." Thank you for the advice. Couldn't see that it found anything pertaining to Norton or Symantec, but found quite a few things needing deletion.

Collapse -
re "uninstall of Norton AntiVirus".

In reply to: Norton Removal

I've read all previous 22 messages and I wanted to say I have never had any problems with uninstalling my Norton AntiVirus-touch wood. I made sure I was NOT connected to the internet during the uninstall. I came a cropper with other programs I thought I could not uninstall, until I disconnected from the Internet, and that made all the difference. No one ever told me to do that. I had to figure it out for myself. Sad
For 5 months I could not get my Outlook Express to work. That problem was partly caused by Norton and partly by Zone Alarm Pro. I got things going ok now.
btw, this is a GREAT location. Thanks.

Collapse -
Did uninstalling Norton speed up your system?

In reply to: re "uninstall of Norton AntiVirus".

I've noticed that a lot of people uninstall Norton products. After you did, did you notice a big improvement in the speed of your system? I have Norton System Works and Norton Firewall, along with Norton Go Back.
I'm thinking about trying to uninstall System Works and Firewall. I like have Go Back so I plan to keep it.

Collapse -
Removing Norton

In reply to: Did uninstalling Norton speed up your system?

Yes, it did. However, removing your Norton may not be a "piece of cake." Am now using Avast! anti-virus and my husband is using AVG Free anti-virus. We are quite happy with them, and morever, they are both free.

Collapse -
Removing Nort..Systemworks but keeping Goback and Checkit

After reading this thread I have removed Norton Systemworks 2005 and installed ZoneAlarm Security Suite. I want to keep the ''Goback and Checkit'' portions of symantic program which is still listed as seperate programs on p.c. Should I still try to eliminate all references to systemworks thru ''regedit''?? Or just leave things alone in my regestry.

What is the best FREE program available to clean up their registry of obselete stuff???

Thank you

Collapse -
Removing Norton

In reply to: Removing Nort..Systemworks but keeping Goback and Checkit

I don't know how you could remove Norton Systemworks 2005, while still retaining Goback and Checkit. Norton is quite invasive. (Even after removing all traces in the registry, etc., there is still a reference to NAV in the heading of my incoming Eudora messages.) I am using "Your Uninstaller." A trial version is available free.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!