Computer Help forum

General discussion

removing non existent drive letters

by dbheight / February 8, 2006 6:18 AM PST

i've reformatted my kid's windows 98 computer due to junk built up over the years. when i boot up with windows 98 boot disk, i end up with an extra drive letter (E). it will let me install win98, but after i'm done, there is no E drive, just D drive. if i click on D, win 98 doesn't recognize it. i need to remove E drive and get D drive to operate.
please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: removing non existent drive letters
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: removing non existent drive letters
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
E is the phantom drive. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 8, 2006 6:21 AM PST

usually the CD drive during the install. After Windows installs it will be the D: drive with Windows installed on C.

Collapse -
TWEAKUI can hide that drive letter from Explorer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2006 6:21 AM PST

But look in your CONFIG.SYS (share it here) to see if there is some RAMDRIVE.

"if i click on D, win 98 doesn't recognize it."

This is usually a sign of an incomplete install. Were there motherboard drivers that you installed?

Bob

Collapse -
Drive letters
by Cursorcowboy / February 8, 2006 8:38 PM PST

A. when i boot up with windows 98 boot disk, i end up with an extra drive letter (E). it will let me install win98, but after i'm done, there is no E drive, just D drive.

Has Windows been installed and does Windows work?

1. When booting a system with a Windows 98 Startup Disk, a boot menu appears offering two options - to load with or without CD-ROM support. After a selection is make, the process continues. The CD-Rom process builds a 2MB RAMDrive (virtual drive). The drive designation is the VERY next drive letter following the last hard drive designation already on a system. IOW, the current assigned CD-ROM drive letter is pushed +1 drive letter ahead from what it was before booting with the EBD. Example:

a. You have one hard disk drive with three designated drives/and/or/partitions; Drives C:\, D:\ and E:\.

b. You have one CD-ROM drive F:\

c. You have one DVD drive G:\

d. Therefore, the RAMDrive will be designated F:\ and your prior drives F:\ = G:\, and G:\ = H:\. Perhaps these two may even swap drive designations because of certain system anomalies.

2. A RAMDrive is created where the EBD.CAB files are extracted before certain MS-DOS commands can be used. Essentially, this virtual drive emulates a physical hard drive on a system and is created where the EBD.CAB files are uncompress and disappears once the system reboots:

Attrib.exe - Add or remove file attributes
Chkdsk.exe - A simpler and smaller disk status tool
Debug.exe - Debugging utility
Edit.com - Real-mode emergency text editor
Ext.exe - New, simple file extract utility
Format.com - Disk format tool
Mscdex.exe - Microsoft CD-ROM file extension for MS-DOS
Scandisk.exe - Disk status tool
Scandisk.ini - Disk status tool configuration file
Sys.com - Transfers system files and make disk bootable
Uninstal.exe - A tool to remove Windows 98 from the system and return the system to its previous state

Note: Should the MS-DOS command dir be performed from the command line on the newly created Startup disk the above files are not reflected, and they are not usable until the extraction has been performed to the virtual drive. Several of the other necessary MS-DOS maintenance tools are provided separately as standalone files.

B. if i click on D, win 98 doesn't recognize it. i need to remove E drive and get D drive to operate.

Not that it matters, but why are you clicking on drive D -- and you could explain also when are you clicking on drive D?

Was this observation before are after Windows was installed?

If it's after the Windows install, what environment are you in when you click on the drive D -- from Windows (the GUI) or MS-DOS at the command line?

If devices are recognized as attached peripherals they will be listed as resident on the "System Configuration Summary" (BIOS Startup Screen) at boot. Press the Pause key as soon as you see this screen start displaying so it can be stopped and read (sometimes you may have to press Esc just before if you're a little slow and it goes past or the thumbs get in the way). Press any other key to continue. If the CMOS/BIOS does not recognize and display peripheral information on this screen, Windows certainly will not.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.