PC Applications forum

General discussion

removing e-mail from hard drive location

How can I access e-mails that are stored on my hard drive? I need to remove them so to allow more storage space on my drive. I'm at capacity. I have already removed all emails from my outlook express location. Inbox, Sent, Deleted, etc. However they are still in my computer taking up space somewhere. The string to reach the area is: My Computer - Drive C - Windows - Application Data - Identities. Once I reach the area of identities my computer shows an alarming file size of e-mails. Would it be safe to delete these files so to allow more storage space on my hard drive? Please Advise. And once deleted will my computer automatically make this storage area again? I'm using a Dell Laptop,ME Operating System, Windows 2000 & Outlook Express 6.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: removing e-mail from hard drive location
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: removing e-mail from hard drive location
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: removing e-mail from hard drive location

In reply to: removing e-mail from hard drive location

go to Search/Find....all files and folders. Make sure it's looking in the C: drive and not the default My Documents location, and then click Advanced to look in Subfolders. Now type in *.dbx and you will see all your email. Delete ONLY the SENT and the DELETED and you will recover your harddrive space quickly, after emptying your recycle bin and rebooting. Once you open OE, it will recreate those two folders, and any special folders you have created will still be there.

Now go to Options in Tools and in the SENT tab, uncheck 'keep a copy' and then go to ADVANCED or MAINTENANCE and put a checkmark in 'empty deleted upon exit'. This way anything you delete will automatically be wiped from the harddrive as you close OE every time. If you want to keep a copy of any emails you send, just put your own email addy into the BCC line and you will receive your own copy of it via email......so create a new folder to drag those emails to for safekeeping. That way ONLY the ones you really want to keep are going to be saved.

TONI

Collapse -
Removing old mail from Hard drive

In reply to: removing e-mail from hard drive location

Aloha,
I have a windows Vista laptop that has been bogging. I heard that mail gets copied to the hard drive and takes up space. I've seen help for xp and 2000 but not with vista(I miss my xp) can you help me?
I have a toshiba Satellite
Intel(R)CPU
T2250@ 1.73GHz 1.73GHz
Thank You,
Maddy

Collapse -
Could you repost?

In reply to: Removing old mail from Hard drive

You have replied to an old thread which may go overlooked and differs in details. Thus, I would suggest reposting in our Windows Vista forum, providing information about the type of email account you are using as the answer depends on various factors.

John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!