Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Removing background

by christy / March 16, 2004 9:56 PM PST

I have scanned a postcard with a picture of a irregular shaped object. I would like to remove the background, leaving only the object, so that when I paste that object unto documents or other pictures, it will not have that unsighty oblong thing covering part of the picture. I have access to Adobe PhotoShop 7, Corel Draw 10 and PaintShop Pro7, but am very new with them. What is the best or correct way to do it ? What other programs are better ? I have tried using the 'magic wand' tool and vaiours attempts at cut and paste and tried making the background 'transparent' but was only able to make the background white. Thanks.

christy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Removing background
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Removing background
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Removing background
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2004 11:08 PM PST
In reply to: Removing background
Collapse -
Re:Removing background
by jmgb / March 22, 2004 11:04 AM PST

Try using lasso.... zoom your image till you can see it pixelated and then make a quick selection of it... copy and paste it on a transparent background. Magic Wand and transparent gifs should work, but I don?t know if you?ve done something wrong... but the lasso or magnetic lasso will work for you

Collapse -
Re: Removing background
by magikil wizard / August 29, 2004 8:46 PM PDT

One way to do it in Photoshop would to open the picture ; then duplicate the image to work on. In the copy, select all, then make a new layer via copy.
On this layer, select your paintbrush tool, select a size for the brush to allow erasing around the image. set your foreground color as black, and in the toolbar by your paintbrush, select the mode as "clear". Then anything you move the brush on will become transparent, so trace around the image you wish to use.Once the image is outlined, you can increase the brush size to easily cover the remaing area you don't want. You can easily see the area you are making transparent by unchecking the "eyeball" on the background layer. Once all the area around the image is transparent, then you can cut the layer you were working on and paste into your new image you open; or save the layer by keeping the background not seen and then flattening the image, then save as either a photoshop file extension to maintain the transparency, or as a tiff file to maintain the transparancy.

Collapse -
Fantastic!
by sideoiler / December 30, 2004 8:28 AM PST

Beautiful work,Wizard! But you had a beautiful subject to work with! Thanks for the information relative to using the eraser method.

Collapse -
by slim___shady / August 30, 2004 11:26 AM PDT

Read about the Extract feature of Photoshop

Collapse -
by Sovereign Forum moderator / August 31, 2004 6:54 AM PDT

Take a brush, make it white, set it that it's a little blury on the ends, zoom in, draw around the object, make everything white that you don't want, done! Can't get easier then that.

Collapse -
In photoshop...
by Kiddpeat / September 8, 2004 12:41 PM PDT

Open the image
duplicate the base layer
work on the duplicate layer
turn off display of the base layer
cut away the portions of the duplicate layer image you don't want to see
select All for the duplicate layer
edit->copy the duplicate layer
file->new
accept all the defaults
edit->paste the copied image
save it as a GIF file
you can then use it in other programs - the background will be transparent

Don't forget to save the original file as a photoshop file in case you want to come back to it.

Collapse -
To remove object from background
by Francisco Aloy / January 2, 2005 7:07 PM PST

Hi Christy,

Use Photoshop and start selecting with the Poligonal Lazo tool. Expand the graphic by pressing Control +

Take your time and do a neat job. When done selecting, go to Edit > copy, then go to File > New and select the background you want.

Then press Control + A and go to Edit > Paste into.

That should do it.

Collapse -
removing background
by constance / January 23, 2005 3:04 AM PST

Its all work. A few months back I ran across a filter someone said could be installed and used in photoshop to eliminate white backgrounds and make them transparent. I do not know if that would work for colors. However I wasn't able to get it properly downloaded into photoshop. I have submitted a post to see if someone can help me install it properly. But I can not remember right now where I found it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.