Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

removing ambiguity

Opening My Computer in WinXP-Pro/SP3 can result two possible presentations : double-clicking My Computer tends to open it with the left pane being headed by System Tasks, whereas Win E tends to show the pane with Folders.The steps of my macro to automate the launching of a checkdisk, requires there be no ambiguity. Is there a way of ensuring that Win E ALWAYS results in only the ONE (whichever) view being presented ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: removing ambiguity
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: removing ambiguity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That is because ...

In reply to: removing ambiguity

Running My Computer runs My Computer while winkey+E runs Windows Explorer. I doubt if it is possible to change that.

Kees

Collapse -
consistent opening of My Computer

In reply to: That is because ...

That's an interesting observation, but does not address my issue. I want to open My Computer by means of a macro - and the most reliable way to do that is with a keystroke - Win E. Is there some way of ensuring that WIN E will only ever open My Computer in the view that includes (or excludes) the Folders pane on the left.

Collapse -
Then you'll have to try running Explorer.

In reply to: consistent opening of My Computer

Since the default actions on My Computer, C: are not consistent across machines, it looks like the old fashioned method for you.

Then again I have pitchforks and torches aplenty for the the entire forum.
Bob

Collapse -
old fashioned method

In reply to: Then you'll have to try running Explorer.

Do you mean by that, to give up trying to use a macro ?

Collapse -
What is the purpose of this macro?

In reply to: old fashioned method

and why do you need it to open "My Computer" specifically?

You mentioned ChkDsk, but not in what context.

For example, I can force Explorer to open at whatever location I wish by using the target;
%windir%\explorer.exe /e, c:\Work

where 'Work" is some folder I use.

I can just as easily use; %windir%\explorer.exe /e, c:\ which would open Explorer directly with the C drive highlighted.

So, what is this macro intended to do?

Mark

Collapse -
four replies

In reply to: What is the purpose of this macro?

<<What is the purpose of this macro?>> as stated in my first post, "macro to automate the launching of a checkdisk"
<<why do you need it to open "My Computer" specifically?>> To get access to the properties of the hard drive(s), which gives access to the (full) checkdisk command - C:\WINDOWS\system32\chkdsk.exe does not do all 5 phases.
<<%windir%\explorer.exe /e, c:\Work>> That looks to me like a DOS command in a batch file. My first preference is for batch files, but it is too complex for me to achieve a checkdisk in a batchfile, so I have used Macro Express to write a macro.
<<what is this macro intended to do>> Since I have answered that above, I want to add that I do a checkdisk every week, and that involves some 10 or more steps. All that is repetitious - the thing that computers are best at - repetitious tasks.

Collapse -
Re: chkdsk

In reply to: four replies

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/chkdsk.htm tells how to execute phase 4 and 5 of chkdsk when running the program from a batchfile. So it seems your problems are solved by using the /R switch.

May I add that you're the first one I ever met that does a surface check on the hard disk every week? Most people do it never. Some people might do it if they have reason to suspect there are bad sectors on the disk. If that's confirmed by running chkdsk, it's time to buy a new disk. But with modern disks having SMART they should warn you automatically.

Kees
Collapse -
problems are solved by using the /R switch.

In reply to: Re: chkdsk

If the full 5 phases of checkdisk are not needed, then obviously the batch file, triggering chkdsk.exe, would be the way to go. Thank you for that hint - I don't want to do unnecessary work. With one proviso - you talk about modern disks. I am using 40Gb HDDs - they are probably not so very modern, although SMART has been around for a while.

Collapse -
Re: batch file

In reply to: problems are solved by using the /R switch.

The batch file, when you add the /R switch to the command, does the full 5 passes the link said. Did you try from the command prompt?

Then you can make 2 batch files. A quick one, without surface check, and a slower one, with. I'd run the first more often than the second.

Kees

Collapse -
minimised checkdisk triggering

In reply to: Re: batch file

<<Did you try from the command prompt?>>
No, the whole idea is to reduce the number of 'actions' - but I did try from batch-file and it works fine. I agree, two slightly different batchfiles would do the trick .

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!