PC Hardware forum

General discussion

REMOVING A PENTIUM (UPGRADE)

Hi im after chainging mu current pentium 4 3.06ghz to a dual core but is my motherboard compatible. Its a packard bell imedia 1529 pc and on the web site it says it supportes dual core but im not sure which one to buy. I have used cpuz and it says its using socket 775 LGA. Do i have to get a dual core pentium with the same socket, and i think its running at 800 bus speed

Meny thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: REMOVING A PENTIUM (UPGRADE)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: REMOVING A PENTIUM (UPGRADE)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Start by checking you system DOCs or the mfg's

In reply to: REMOVING A PENTIUM (UPGRADE)

website.

Then maybe a note to the nfg's tech support.

Is it still under warranty ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Most probably will take pentium D

In reply to: Start by checking you system DOCs or the mfg's

but check with maker as stated previously. Hoever it's unlikly to support the new Core 2 Duo as these requre a newer chipset Intel 965, 975, however the Pentium D Duel core will speed things up for you. Good luck.
John

Collapse -
it can support any c2d but...

as u know core 2 duo has 1066mhz fsb and this motherboard supports 800mhz fsb it will work like any pentium d, if u core 2 duo it think jst raise the fsb in the BIOS from 200mhz to 266mhz, if possible and lower one notch the VCORE because c2d consumes less power. hope this helped

Collapse -
What is the difference????

In reply to: it can support any c2d but...

Hi thanks for all your reply but what difference is they between dual core and pentium d.

Ment thanks

Collapse -
da difference is...

In reply to: What is the difference????

that pentium d is a dual core (running two cores at a time) and dual core is a defination for a processor running two cores. in pentium there are only two series of dualcore
1- Pentium D
2- core 2 duo

Collapse -
Right so

In reply to: da difference is...

I should be able to put a pentium D in my motherboard. LOL sorry for sounding dumb. I dont suppose you have any links providing me where i can buy a compatable processor. The main reason to upgrade is im a keen gamer and i would like to run vista when it arrives.

Meny thanks

Collapse -
whats ur budjet

In reply to: Right so

You can buy a Pentium D 945: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116255

but i recommand you to go for an core 2 duo e6300:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115005

this e6300 is very nice for anything you can run windows vista, games, multitasking,etc. dont think about the speed why is it less?
its double the speed of pentium d 945, its a good overclocking chip

but for core 2 duo e6300, you should buy a motherboard that supports 1066mhz FSB. the best motherboard for a low price is
GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128017

hope this helped

Collapse -
WEBLINK I found said this about your current CPU but

nothing about upgrade CPUs. If you have other credible links that show otherwise...post it for us to see too. EVen if a newer CPU will sit/fit in the socket doesn't mean it will work as it should

Again .. you're better off leaving this system as is and saving the $$ for the next system. Big box PCs usually don't promote such upgrades which often require BIOS updates to recognize and take advantage of newer CPUs. The gain ain't worth the $$ or the pain.

VAPCMD

Manufacturer Intel
Type Pentium 4 (Prescott, 90 nm)
Model SL8ZZ
Clock Speed 3.06 GHz
Front Bus Speed 533 MHz
Cache 1024 kB
Socket LGA775
Stepping core G1
Maximum temperature 68

Collapse -
This is from the web site ???????

In reply to: WEBLINK I found said this about your current CPU but

this is my motherboard info from the web site. Hope this helps on what i can and cannot do if its the case of me not been able to change it what about overclocking it??????. If i can change it i may go for the one you recomended

meny thanks

MOTHERBOARD

Form Factor

Collapse -
buy a pentium d 945...

In reply to: This is from the web site ???????

pentium d 945 (3.4ghz) and buy a 8800gtx graphic card, it would be perfect for your system and buy 2gb ddr2 ram of nice quality like crosrair, kingston, OCZ, etc.

Collapse -
OK I WILL LOL

In reply to: buy a pentium d 945...

I will get one of them and i was already thinking off getting a 8800gtx. I know it may be a daft question but when removing and placing my new pentium is it just a case off unscrewing and removing the pentium or is they a bit more to it

Many thanks again

Collapse -
thr are no screws

In reply to: OK I WILL LOL

it is only a processor that should be placed on the mobo by lifting up a panel and placing the processor and then closing the panel again
chk the pics on the internet, but as for the heatsink there are something not screws (i dnt knw what) but its easy to put the processors

Collapse -
Proceed with great caution unless you wish to have

In reply to: OK I WILL LOL

a collection high-priced parts doing nothing more than collecting dust. Suspect you'll need a BIOS update for the system to properly recognize and operate with the new CPU.

If you haven't already done so...see what advice your PC mfg has regarding this. What have you got to lose, especially about the CPU, BIOS updates a new GPU and perhaps new PSU. Before you know it you'll have the equivalent of a new system.

VAPCMD

PS: And by all means be cautious of the advice you're receiving. Some of it comes from a poster who can't figure out what to buy for his own PC. To wit...the poster recommends a higher performance GPU but fails to point out that it's likely to necessitate buying a more robust PSU to support it. No more need be said.

Collapse -
Installing the Intel Processor..

If you have a Intel P4 at 3.06 GHz whay change the CPU..??
Maybe you should use the new OS from Microsoft instead..Vista..
or take a chance on a Full Version of XP-Professional..
This may increase the performance that you need..
The Dual Core Processors start at about $$300.00..
and even cost $$1400.00
I would check my software for Upgrade..
Because how do you know the CPU-specs w/o the Intel CPUID Utility..which only runs on an Intel Machine..
I would think that the Mobo you have w/P4 will NOT be recognized by Intel Diagnostic software..
But its safe to try..
Go to:http://www.intel.com
and type in the Search Engine/CPUID Utility..you will get two choices..a Windows Download..and the Linux Download..
and some MS-DOS stuff..you should not need that..
RUN the CPUID Utility.....if it recognizes your Mobo Hardware you may be able to CONTACT Intel on whats-what..I doubt that the CPUID Utility will recognize your stuff..which should "stop" all other thoughts..
with the RAM changes your just createing alot of work/and worry..
Either work from the Intel website or rely on your Machine Support Team..don't quess.

Collapse -
Please understand that there were DUO cores

but the real super performer is called the Core 2 Duo. That is the Conroe core developed by Intel's Israeli group. Totally different architecture. Do not waste your money on the Duo Core. Two different animals.

Duo cores are two P4's stuck together with very high power consumption.

Collapse -
OK IM A BIT CONFUSSED?????

In reply to: Please understand that there were DUO cores

So is it worth me upgrading to duo core, or do i have no upgrade option, or does my mobo not support core 2 duo or duo core, And is my current pentium still good for good gaming.

Just a tad bit confussed LOL

Many thanks

Collapse -
Probably get more bang for the gaming $$ with a better

In reply to: OK IM A BIT CONFUSSED?????

video card. Are you using the onboard GPU now ? Just keep in mind if you go the CPU route....got to make sure the PSU is up to the task. Take a look at http://www.tomshardware.com ..lots of good info on the current generation of video cards plus GPU performance comparison. The good thing about the GPU upgrade or a better PSU is you can always move them to another system if you later decide on a heftier CPU.

If you go this route ...post the proposed components and we'll give you some feedback.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
ATI X1900

In reply to: Probably get more bang for the gaming $$ with a better

Im using ATI x1900xtx graphics at the min and i upgraded my psu to a 450 watts not sure what make. I my just go with the new pc if it is going to be too much work and pain. Is crossfire or Sli worth getting

Again many thanks

Collapse -
Download and run 'Everest Home V2.20..it's free

In reply to: ATI X1900

and tell us exactly what MB (mfg and model #) and MB revision number if applicable you have. MB mfgs are doing a better job of making CPU upgrade info available to end users. If this is on off the shelf PC from a big boxmaker...mfg, series and model number is required....the devil is in the detail.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
HERE YOU GO

In reply to: Download and run 'Everest Home V2.20..it's free

Here is what the program tells me (sorry for the delay) not sure whitch you wanted so ill attatch a bit

Field Value
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 09/08/2006-RC410-SB450-6A665G0DC-00
Motherboard Name Unknown

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 533 MHz
Bandwidth 4266 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit

This is what the CPU option says

Field Value
CPU Properties
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 3066 MHz (23 x 133)
CPU Alias Prescott
CPU Stepping G1
Instruction Set x86, x86-64, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Original Clock 3066 MHz
Min / Max CPU Multiplier 14x / 23x
Engineering Sample No
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 1 MB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

Multi CPU
Motherboard ID OEM00000 PROD00000000
CPU #0 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz, 3059 MHz
CPU #1 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz, 3059 MHz

CPU Manufacturer
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/processor.htm

CPU Utilization
CPU #1 / HTT Unit #1 0 %
CPU #1 / HTT Unit #2 0 %

Any more info just let me know

Cheers chris

Collapse -
(NT) Is this a Packard Bell Media Center PC ???

In reply to: HERE YOU GO

Collapse -
YEP

In reply to: Is this a Packard Bell Media Center PC ???

yes it is its the imedia 1529 the only changes ive made are PSU and graphics card

Collapse -
This would have been a lot easier if you had told us

In reply to: YEP

that it was Packard Bell and model number earlier.

Have you checked with Packard Bell...they would be in the best position to tell you especially about CPU ugrades.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
he told us already....

In reply to: This would have been a lot easier if you had told us

read da previous discussion, u knw i was not replying bcuz its not a custom made comp, it is a packard bell its difficult to modify things in it better to sell full comp and make a custom one

Collapse -
Definitely missed that...but the Specs do indicate he has

In reply to: he told us already....

some CPU options...would be much easier if it wasn't an off the shelf big box.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
I missed the first clue....

In reply to: YEP

My goof..

The best (highest performance) CPU your system supports is
* Intel Pentium D Dual Core Technology

Look at the choices at the link below ... the question you should ask Packard Bell (just to be sure) is which of these processors does your system support. If possible go for the 65nm technology ... runs cooler.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ProcFam=2112&sSpec=&OrdCode=

VAPCMD

Collapse -
OK CHEERS AGAIN

In reply to: I missed the first clue....

ive asked on the packard bell fourm and awaiting a reply ill let you know what was said

Cheers chris

Collapse -
PACKARD BELL

In reply to: OK CHEERS AGAIN

on the forum they said any lga 775 pentium D should work. I have the latest bios installed so whitch one should i go for im after the best one for gaming and will it run all vista options

Cheers

Collapse -
go for pentium d 945 if...

In reply to: PACKARD BELL

you use VT then go for 950

Collapse -
OK ILL LOOK

In reply to: PACKARD BELL

at them ones soory to sound dumb but what is vt????

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.