Computer Help forum

General discussion

removeing ( windows defender)

by lizblanchard11 / September 17, 2006 11:59 AM PDT

running windows xp, toshiba laptop,a45-s120.
I downloaded windows defender. All it does is run all the time. I want to delete it, but it won't let me do so. Can anyone help me please. Missie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: removeing ( windows defender)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: removeing ( windows defender)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Removing Defender
by kwkid / September 17, 2006 3:51 PM PDT

Have you tried the add/remove programs to remove Defender? I am just trying to determine how you attempted to remove it before we go further. Please post back and let us know.

Collapse -
removing windows defender
by lizblanchard11 / September 18, 2006 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Removing Defender

I downloaded it, should have listen to them. They said it could not be removed. Yes I tried add and remove.
I have tried to delete it manually file at a time, but that won't work. I have tried to break into file and cause it to change, but that don't work. Help

Collapse -
Can Not Remove Defender
by kwkid / September 18, 2006 11:42 AM PDT

I went into my add/remove programs and was successful in removing Defender without any problems. You state that when you installed that it said ''it couldn't be removed''. I suspect there is something else going on, but at this point I don't have enough information to hazard an informed opinion. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will chime in with a possibility. In the meantime, can you elaborate on where you saw the ''cannot be removed'' comment? It may provide us with a clue as to where to look.

Collapse -
window xp, toshiba a45-s120
by lizblanchard11 / September 18, 2006 12:03 PM PDT

In answer to your question, microsoft says it can't be deleted when you start your download. Thanks Missie

Collapse -
From Microsoft
by kwkid / September 18, 2006 12:41 PM PDT

Beta Support Policy:
This is pre-release (beta) software distributed for feedback and testing purposes. Microsoft only provides best effort support through the newsgroups. If Windows Defender (Beta 2) is causing an issue with your system, we recommend removing it by using Add or Remove Programs and even using System Restore if the problem persists.

Collapse -
(NT) From Defender help file.
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / September 18, 2006 12:00 PM PDT

Remove Windows Defender from your computer.To prevent problems with removing Windows Defender, save your work and close any open programs before you begin.

To remove Windows Defender
Close Windows Defender. If the program is not open but is performing a scan or another activity, right-click the Windows Defender icon in the notification area, and then click Exit.
Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
Click Windows Defender, and then click Remove.
Follow the instructions to uninstall the program.

Might want to install again and try to uninstall again. I have not tried to uninstall from my system.

Collapse -
win. xp, toshiba a45-s120 laptop
by lizblanchard11 / September 18, 2006 12:07 PM PDT

Here's what i did, I opened it up went to files that are in the windows defender and started deleteing, some of the files say no, can not be deleted, so I kept on deleteing all I could of the files. Then I went to add remove and deleted it just fine. Thanks for all the help with my problem. Missie

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?