Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Remove Pre-Installed Software

by Walt H / March 26, 2011 9:09 AM PDT

Running Win XP SP3 on an old Toshiba laptop. Through Add/Remove is it safe to get rid of AOL (America On Line) which came pre-installed? I never wanted it or used it. I don't use any dial-up connections as I've been using Cable Internet. I want to clear up as much disk space as possible.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Remove Pre-Installed Software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Remove Pre-Installed Software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Easy . . .
by Coryphaeus / March 26, 2011 9:24 AM PDT

The AOHell software installer will be in a folder in the Programs folder. Just use Explorer and delete it. If you've never installed it it's that easy. If you installed it go to Add/Remove and uninstall it.

Collapse -
Remove AOL
by Walt H / March 26, 2011 11:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Easy . . .

Add/Remove indicates AOL has been used RARELY. It also shows the size 68.29MB. When I click Change/Remove it searches AOL on line for the version installed on my system. When the search is complete it returns the message "no version of AOL could be found on my computer" and leaves it listed in Add/Remove.

I'm uncomfortable about deleteing it in the Programs Folder as you stated because the size shown in Add/Remove of 68.29 MB and it says it was used rarely even though I did not use it and it could not be found.

Collapse -
(NT) Try to uninstall it in Safe Mode.
by Coryphaeus / March 26, 2011 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Remove AOL
Collapse -
Add/Remove entries
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 26, 2011 8:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Remove AOL

This is an occasional problem with XP and more common with previous Windows OSes. Uninstalling software would sometimes leave the Add/Remove entry intact. There used to be utilities available to clear the Add/Remove list of any false entries.

However, it isn't really a problem and it doesn't affect the running of XP at all.

What you could do is hunt down those AOL folders and move them to the Recycle Bin for a while. Don't empty the Recycle Bin immediately, but leave the folders there for a few days or a week or so, to thoroughly test the system for any instability. There shouldn't be any problems but if there are, just Restore the folders from the bin. After a week or so with no difficulties, empty the bin.

68MB is not huge by today's standards, and even in XP's early days it was still quite small. It is likely these are folder/file remnants, not completely removed from a previous uninstall.

Mark

Collapse -
Finally Removed AOL and its Components
by Walt H / March 30, 2011 11:23 AM PDT

I downloaded the FREE version of Revo Uninstaller. Using that program I first uninstalled programs associated with AOL, i.e. AOL Spyware, AOL Coach Version, AOL Connectivity software and AOL ScreenSaver. Once those were successfully gone I then used the program to uninstall AOL's Main Program which Revo Uninstaller also found was not installed on my system. However, the programs lets you go a step further by removing the registry entries and the Program Files for AOL. Finally AOL and its components are gone for the Add/Remove section as well as the Program Files folder.

This thread has been RESOLVED! Thanks for all your input.

Collapse -
Glad you got it sorted
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 30, 2011 9:19 PM PDT

Good work Walt, and thanks for telling us.

Revo Uninstaller was going to b my next suggestion, honest! Devil

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?