A rather sad indictment of SS appliances was a Sears clearance warehouse. It was huge, a few football fields and half the space was dinged up SS appliances. It didn't help sell me on SS.
I'm housesitting for some friends with stainless appliances. They warned me not to open the fridge and oven doors at the same time because they were installed too close to each other. I forgot, though, and opened the fridge to add something to the oven.
Now there's now a dark mark about 1/4" wide on their Samsung RFG29PHDRS side-by-side. (I took a photo, but I don't think there's any way to post it here, is there?) The mark's darker than the rest of the door, so I can't tell if it's actually a scratch, or some kind of coloration that was transferred from the oven door. Have any ideas how I may be able to fix it? I'm reasonably handy. Thanks!
Despite the general pessimism, I managed to remove the mark! First, I read as much info about stainless finishes as I could find. Then here's what I did:
1. Applied a small amount of cleaning powder for stainless-steel and copper pans to a wet Q-Tip.
2. Gently rubbed the mark with the Q-Tip, going only in the direction of the grain (pattern) of the steel's finish—that is, horizontally—till the mark disappeared.
3. Applied a very small amount of the powder (which is abrasive) to a soft, moist rag; then gently wiped along the grain over the general area where the mark was to smooth out the grain lines as much as possible. (This took the most time and patience.)
4. Used some stainless steel wipes from my supermarket's cleaning-supply department (the resemble baby wipes, but they're for steel) to clean the whole front of the fridge. Following the wipes' instructions, I used them only in the direction of the grain, too.
5. With a dry, soft rag, buffed the surface to remove the wipes' residue and leave a nice sheen.
Wow, what a relief. Of course it's much easier not to scrape the fridge in the first place—so that's my best advice. :?)
Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!
Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.