Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

removal of drive partition

by klezmer_11 / March 14, 2008 12:26 AM PDT

I recently installed a new external hard drive to free up some space on my 80 GB C drive. The C was previously divided into two logical drives, C and D with 40/40 partitions. I tried to restore the C to its original 80 GB size by removing the logical D drive in Disk Management. However, Windows still only sees the C drive at its previous size. How do I add the remaining 40 GB to it so that the 80 GB are contiguous on the same drive?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: removal of drive partition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: removal of drive partition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: repartitioning.
by Kees Bakker / March 14, 2008 12:31 AM PDT

The two ways to do it:
(1) Buy a third-party program like Partition Magic. There's shareware with the same functions also.
(2) Make an 'image' using a program like Acronis TrueImage to another drive. From the XP CD, reinstall XP. Tell the partition manager in the XP setup to delete the old partition and create a new 80 Gb one. Then use True Image again to restore the image on this now bigger c:\-drive.

Your choice.

Kees

Collapse -
Can You Recommend One?
by tonyny77 / March 15, 2008 12:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: repartitioning.

Kees ... You mentioned there are shareware programs that perform the same/similar functionality as Partition Magic. Can you recommend a good, dependable one, please?

I'm interested because I recently replaced my 80 GB system drive with with a 250 GB drive. As I used the Seagate utility to partition the drive, the utility warned me about the 137 GB limit. I was surprised by the warning because my system has a second disk drive with its entire 250 GB allocated as one partition and drive letter.

However, I didn't want to take the chance and I now have just 137 out of 250 GB allocated to C: and the rest is not being used, presently. After pondering the situation a little, I have a feeling (meaning that I'm not sure) that the warning message was a false alarm and perhaps I really can allocate the entire 250 GB to one partition. After all, my second hard disk is using its entire 250 GB; I figure the new drive can do the same. They're using the same cable and controller.

Any thoughts or recommendation regarding a good shareware partitioning utility?

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Sorry to jump in here. But do not exceed the 127GB IF
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2008 12:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Can You Recommend One?

If your original OS is "XP" do not expand it past 127GB. The danger here is you can't repair the OS with the original XP CD.

Bob

Collapse -
restore full hard drive
by bbrucemcn / March 14, 2008 3:09 PM PDT

I split my 80 gig in half using the program inside XP install. I use C for WINXP and I use D to keep A working copy of C or back up. The other reason is the less you give windows the less it will use plus half the time to defrag. I am sure I can restore it the same way with the fact that I will lose all data on D to make it all C again. How you split your HD in to two Partion is the best way to fix it. If you are using win98se boot disk for file management you would use fdisk to take off logical D and have not told it to add to C all the free space on the HD. From the blinking curser a:\ type "help fdisk" and read the files on how to use it. Or the last option take down the model # and the manufature of the harddrive go to there web site for support and down load a copy of there program that will fix that HD I usully will right o's to the hard drive. when you do that you have a brand new HD that has no partion's except for it's hidden file that you dont know about. I would always get the data off that HD to your external HD. Messing with partions is always a good chance your going to loose what data is on it or the operating system will never use it cause it was never there when you instaled it.

Collapse -
Drive Partitions
by Phil411 / March 15, 2008 2:00 PM PDT

Hey, so firstly you are going to want to back up your files, than you want to download some kind, of partitioning software, i recommend Paragon Partition Manager Pro, it'll run you about $35, for the full version. Paragon Partition Manager is a great fairly simple program, features include coping and migration, backup and rescue and allows you to change the way your system boots up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.