Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Removable Storage Not Being Reconized...

by davidcho02 / February 5, 2008 10:56 AM PST

Hello,
I'm running Windows XP Professional, which I just installed in December.
My problem is, none of my removable devices are working. Only my floppy and 2 CD drives are listed under 'removable storage' in My Computer, but they are all listed in device manager. I tried a system restore, but since I cannot go back to December, November, etc. And all the other dates will not fix this. I tried to uninstall all the drivers and reinstall them but this has not solved it either. I'm really stumped on this one. Thanks.

I should mention my iPod (touch) is being reconized in iTunes but not under the removable storage list.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Removable Storage Not Being Reconized...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Removable Storage Not Being Reconized...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2008 11:21 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks, but...
by davidcho02 / February 5, 2008 11:49 AM PST

Thanks, but it looks like thats for CDs, not what I have a problem with. I can't upload any pictures from my camera at the moment so it's very frustrating.

Collapse -
Those filters are known to interfere with...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2008 12:00 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks, but...

Usb card readers.

Sorry but I can't get a good reading of your issue. Maybe if you just lead off with what was not working rather than the removable device list since I've seen items work and not be in that list so this is why I wonder why you noted it. BUT GOOD YOU DID, just tell more.

Also, SYSTEM RESTORE to when it worked.

Bob

Collapse -
Hmm.
by davidcho02 / February 5, 2008 12:07 PM PST

I don't really understand what you're saying? If you're just asking for more info,...
The computer knows that the memory stick is in the slot (the light lights up) but when I try to upload images it cannot read the device nor can it be found.

And the last time this worked was in December, and it will not allow me to restore to last year.
Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
by davidcho02 / February 9, 2008 11:38 AM PST

Does anyone know an answer?

Collapse -
Ok, what size is that stick?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2008 12:05 PM PST
In reply to: ...

Also, removing those filters is painless, safe (for me!) and tosses out a common issue.

Also, do you run any CD emulation software?

Email me your HIJACKTHIS log and I'll see if there are any clues there.

Bob

Collapse -
by davidcho02 / February 9, 2008 2:16 PM PST

CD emulation, as in so the computer can reconize the device? Then yes.

And how do I find my HIJACKME log?

Collapse -
Hijack This (HJT) is a Seperate Free Prog...
by tobeach / February 9, 2008 3:49 PM PST
In reply to: .

New Version of HJT (Post Sale to Trend-Micro) Get Free Standing Version:
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/hijackthis.php

Tutorial for installing HJT:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial42.html

NOTE#1: HJT MUST BE PLACED IN A NEW USER CREATED FOLDER ON YOUR OS DRIVE (USUALLY C: DRIVE) >>>BEFORE OPENING<<< SO THE BACK-UPS IT CREATES CAN'T BE ACCIDENTLY REMOVED BY CLEANERS. JUST RIGHT CLICK C: AND CHOOSE NEW > FOLDER AND NAME IT HIJACK THIS OR HJT. THEN DOWNLOAD TO THIS FOLDER OR GO TO MY DOCS OR DESKTOP(WHEREVER YOU SAVED TO) & COPY & PASTE TO NEW FOLDER.

NOTE #2: HJT SHOULD ONLY BE USED FOR SCAN & FIND & REPORT BY USER. GOOD FOR GETTING BASE CLEAN STATUS COMPARISON IN CASE OF LATER TROUBLE.
VERY POWERFUL!!!!>>> SHOULD ONLY BE USED FOR REMOVALS FOLLOWING ADVICE FROM HJT EXPERTS.

Good Luck! Grin

Collapse -
Solution!
by davidcho02 / February 13, 2008 10:03 AM PST

Well, after a month of searching, I have finally found the answer!!
Turns out the assigned letter to the drives were erased. To anyone one else having this problem...
Start > Right Click 'My Computer' > Manage > Disk Management
Then right click on any drives w/o a letter and assign one!
Finally!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?