Android forum

General discussion

Removable Battery vs Non-Removable Battery

by uditsh / February 18, 2015 2:59 PM PST

What's the advantage of a battery that you can remove from your phone? What would you prefer, removable battery or non-removable battery?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Removable Battery vs Non-Removable Battery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Removable Battery vs Non-Removable Battery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm going with consumer friendly battery swaps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2015 11:14 PM PST

While many of my friends and I are not adverse to changing a battery of the non-removable type, it's mostly for those that want the ease of swapping. There's a few other reasons but here, it's a non-issue.

The bigger issue is one of finding a replacement. For example if you got some Xioxol Z32 LTE phone you may never find a replacement battery. Lesson? If you plan to try to stick with a phone past 2 years go with the herd.
Bob

Collapse -
removable battery
by park_daniel / February 19, 2015 3:37 PM PST

i would prefer removable battery ..because batteries are not forever..we can change or remove the battery whenever we want..that's a pretty good advantage over the non removable battery..

Collapse -
it is a security thing
by renegade600 / February 19, 2015 7:36 PM PST

the biggest advantage of a non-removable battery is thieves and others cannot immediately remove it to prevent tracking or other security features from being activated. personally I prefer removable batteries - especially if I need the power for an extended period of time and have extra batteries.

Collapse -
Batteries have a 2 year life.
by cdnexpat / February 23, 2015 9:23 PM PST
In reply to: it is a security thing

If you plan to keep any phone over 2 years, plan also on replacing the battery. The fact that you can carry a spare battery is another plus.
The best reason to be able to remove the battery, has to do with security. With the battery removed, your phone cannot be remotely turned on to spy on you.

Collapse -
phone freeze
by uditsh / February 24, 2015 5:58 PM PST
In reply to: it is a security thing

Both are good and bad for several reasons, but there is a another good thing with removable battery phones that if a smartphone freezes up for long time then we can easily unfreeze it by removing its battery.

Collapse -
Removable Battery
by MDTGizmo / March 8, 2015 11:23 AM PDT

I prefer removable batteries although I am using with non-removable one Cry because whenever my phone unexpectedly freezes, I can't turn it off. While with removable battery, you can just easily replace it by buying a new one.

Collapse -
So far a myth.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2015 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Removable Battery

So far, every device to date that's come through the shop turns off if we press and hold the power button till it goes off.

This method seems to be kept a secret by those that want to sell you their devices?
Bob

Collapse -
Batteries do not last forever.
by cdnexpat / April 3, 2015 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: So far a myth.

A good reason to have removable batteries,, is if you keep your phone longer than the usual 2 years. We have 2 Note !, which I bought about 4 years ago. Last year, batteries in both phones started to drain faster. So I bought two new batteries, and and are still enjoying our phones. The reason we keep our phones longer, is that I bought them outright, at 1400 dollars. They still basically do the work of newer models, so I am not really ready to plunck down 1700 dollars for replacements. It would also be hard to get a good value for the old ones. There is no problem finding new batteries for two year old phones, because it is the prime selling season.

Collapse -
Even with batteries soldered in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2015 6:52 AM PDT

I can change those. But solder skills appear to be discouraged today?
Bob

Collapse -
Removable Battery
by somyasharma / March 13, 2015 8:24 PM PDT

I highly recommended removable battery smartphone. Most of Smartphone have battery draining issue, after some time we need to replace the battery. And many time, we stuck in phone hanging problem, that we can solved only to remove the battery for some time.

Collapse -
Don't propagate this myth.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2015 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Removable Battery

Press and hold the power button to power off. Can take up to a minute on a few phones.

Collapse -
Not a Myth!
by iwanderafar / June 10, 2015 11:42 AM PDT

I have an old Samsung Captivate. And it freezes a lot now. However, holding the power button has NEVER turned it off once it has frozen. Only removing the battery does any good. And who wants to sit around holding the power button for a minute or more?

Collapse -
Have to wait to find a Captivate.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2015 11:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a Myth!

Could be a problematic model. I've used the old rubber band trick to hold the button.

Collapse -
Removable battery
by ela1n3ko / April 1, 2015 7:13 AM PDT

I personally like a removable battery because I found it to be very helpful recently with my Samsung galaxy s4.
Yes, the phone is 2 years old which is why it tends to turn off or freeze out of no where. I was driving on the freeway, and suddenly my phone froze and I NEEDED my gps. Let alone, I am horrible with directions. After panicking for a few minutes, I realized that my phone had a removable battery!! I removed it for a second and put it back on, and VOILA! My phone was working again and I was able to get home safely!! Whew!! Hope this helps. Happy

Collapse -
Why does having a removable battery makes life easy.
by Subham Bapna / December 19, 2015 9:10 AM PST

I've used both type of devices, i.e. the phones with a removable battery and a non-removable battery also. I've found handling a device with a removable battery more convenient when it comes to lags and stuff.

Having a removable battery has a lot of advantages but these days manufacturers don't prefer removable batteries because of performance related issues.

If you want to know more about which one to go with, then follow the link: Removable Battery Vs Non-Removable Battery.

Source: Droidmen

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?