Samsung forum

General discussion

Remote works half the time on LN40a550 (IR sensor issue)??

by balldawg4 / May 18, 2009 10:08 PM PDT

I have an LN40a550 LCD tv. I have had it since August of last year and it has worked fine. I run Dish network (box is a 722 DVR?) It runs the tv in our bedroom as well (metal antennae).

The Dish functions on the remote work just fine all the time. When I try to turn the volume up or cut the tv on or off sometimes, it just doesnt work. The remote is lighting up, but the sensor on the tv is not blinking like is used to.

I tried the samsung remote thinking it should work, but it does the same thing. If you hold it long enough, it will finally start to work.

I just want this to work. I have a super nice tv, and I want it to work properly. We just got a new tv in the bedroom. Its an insignia 19 inch from best buy. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Please help with any comments you may have. I tried resetting the samsung remote by holding the power button for 60 secs last night. That did not work though.

I am just wondering if I need a tech to come and replace something.

Thanks,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Remote works half the time on LN40a550 (IR sensor issue)??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Remote works half the time on LN40a550 (IR sensor issue)??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Blocked sensor?
by MrDerbyUK / May 19, 2009 4:41 AM PDT

Two things come to mind,

1) something blocking the sensor on the TV/Remote, like a finger print, left overs from tea, etc Silly

2) something else is giving out IR interference and thus causing problems.

So try cleaning the TV/Remote sensors and then try using the remote with it directly in front of the TVs sensor while placing your hand around it to prevent anything else seeing the sensor.

I do know some plasma TVs and lights cause interference with Wii remotes which work off IR.

Oh and lastly try fresh batteries, the remotes light can blink even when the batteries are half dead.

Thanks

Collapse -
Blocked sensor
by balldawg4 / May 19, 2009 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Blocked sensor?

I have a clear line of sight to the sensor. I may try cleanin it though, even thought it starts working again even if I dont change positions. I already put new batteries in the remote.

I was wondering if it could be do to the new tv in the bedroom (not sure how or why; I dont really understand all the IR signals, etc).

Thanks for the input.

Collapse -
ps...
by balldawg4 / May 19, 2009 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Blocked sensor

the only other thing I have hooked up to the main tv is my dvd/surround sound. No video games or anything

Collapse -
LN46A550P3FXZA - Remote Sensor Issue
by gbpackxxxv / February 18, 2011 7:51 AM PST

I read the responses as I had the same issue. So I disconnected my wireless mouse, wireless router, and turned off my PC's in the area. Still no success. I removed the other remotes from the remote caddy I had located on the shelf by the TV and now my TV works fine. I think one of the remotes in the caddy was active as I think something was pressing against the buttons. Simple fix! Finding parts seemed to be a challenge and I thought I would have to spend an arm and leg to get a tech onsite. Thanks Everyone!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?