Linux forum

General discussion

remote desktop from windows to linux?

by satish_997 / June 1, 2008 2:56 PM PDT

So I was thinking of setting up some kind of network (not sure what the right term would be) so that I can access my files from anywhere with my laptop. Now, my desktop, the one I would be connecting to, has both Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu as a duel boot system. Now, my main purpose for this connection is just so I can access files on my desktop. My question is whether I should do this with my desktop booted into Windows or Ubuntu.

I know if my desktop is in Windows then I can also run programs on there as well depending on my type of connection. Would accessing my files through Linux/Ubuntu, however, be much safer?

not sure if this post belongs here or networking so I'll post a similar one in the other

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: remote desktop from windows to linux?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: remote desktop from windows to linux?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
suggestion
by Porch-a-Geese / June 1, 2008 7:05 PM PDT

SMB through the linux box would be easier. The challenge is to being able to run each program on the other desktop.
Go for an open source alternative and run the windows files through such an application.
You won't be able to access your files in Linux from windows on the same box unless you set up an X environment. There is no support for reading Linux filesystems in Windows.

Collapse -
Sorry for the misleading first answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2008 12:44 AM PDT

Windows can access remote linux machines just fine and the files too. Porch is still in learning mode.

Look up NetDrive on google to find an easy solution to access some SFTP, FTP or other filesystem on your Linux box. There are dozens of solutions you can find like this. I will not write any tutorial about this but our Porch needs more paint.
Bob

Collapse -
you're saying Linux?
by satish_997 / June 2, 2008 2:03 AM PDT

I have practically nothing saved on my Linux partition so Windows would be far more convenient. I was just wondering, though, if it would be safer to connect to the Linux OS rather than Windows.?

Collapse -
Yes
by Porch-a-Geese / June 2, 2008 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: you're saying Linux?

Linux has a better security setup. Look at the post about security and the other post on Linux tips.

Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2008 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: you're saying Linux?

But the tips thread is full of misleading good intentions. Try to avoid getting mislead but the software is out there to do this easily.
Bob

Collapse -
video over remote connection?
by satish_997 / June 2, 2008 10:01 AM PDT

ummm... in my post in the Networking and Wireless forum, I also included a couple questions about watching video over a remote desktop connection. First, if my computer's wireless internet can stream a movie over the internet just fine, then why is it so choppy trying to watch a saved video in the client's computer on my host's computer? What's the difference and is there anyway to improve it? Second, why can't I tell the remote computer to play a cd or dvd in its cd/dvd drive from my host computer?

I suppose that was three questions. Silly Should I take this post back to the Networking and Wireless forum?

Collapse -
Yes it can be choppy over such a connection.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2008 11:06 PM PDT

Copy it locally first to avoid losing a year trying to find and fix it. I must decline trips to the tarpits.

Collapse -
will do
by satish_997 / June 3, 2008 4:22 AM PDT

just out of curiosity though, could you give me a quick explanation why this? I mean if it can stream from the internet great, then why is it soooooo much for from a desktop?

I would really appreciate your input! Happy

Collapse -
In one sentence.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2008 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: will do

Packet turnaround time, buffers, lag, interference, programs not optimized for variable packet delays. That is all.

Collapse -
ok
by satish_997 / June 4, 2008 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: In one sentence.

hahaha! I didn't really understand that, but I had another idea which I posted in the networking forum.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!