Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Remote Desktop and local printers

On my laptop I have 3 local printers installed as I switch between printers.

I use Remote Desktop to remote control my office PC from this laptop. For some reason when I try to print it shows only 2 of my 3 local printers.

Any idea why this would happen? I couldn't find a setting that would be different for one vs. the other 2, thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Remote Desktop and local printers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Remote Desktop and local printers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Remote Desktop

In reply to: Remote Desktop and local printers

I would look and see what ports your printers are installed on. If I am not mistaken, remote desktop will only recognize standard ports (LPT1, USB, etc.) It is possible to have a printer installed on a USB or parrellel port, and not have the port assigned be labled as such. Just my two cents.

Collapse -
The port is called DOT

In reply to: Remote Desktop

Or DOT4 I believe. What is that? Would that have something to do with it?

Collapse -
DOT

In reply to: The port is called DOT

Yeah, I am sure that is your problem. You will have to re-assign the port that corresponds to it. If it is a parallel printer you will have to put it on an LPT port, or if it is USB put it on a USB port.

Collapse -
Why would it say that instead of USB?

In reply to: DOT

It is connected via a USB cable, so I'm wondering why it says "DOT"? Any ideas?

Collapse -
USB

In reply to: Why would it say that instead of USB?

I do not know why Windows assigns the ports the way it does sometimes, you would have to ask someone else about that(I deal primarily with network printers).

I just know that I ran into a similar situation, not specifically with remote desktop, but I finally was able to determine that the problem was that a parallel printer I installed was using port DOT... like yours and it would not work. As soon as I re-assigned the port to an LPT it worked great. If you have a USB printer I would go into your ports and see what you have listed. If not, maybe you could "create a new port" and do it that way.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) OK thanks.

In reply to: USB

Collapse -
I'll try that

In reply to: DOT

Hope it lets me, thanks.....

Collapse -
Just tripped over a MS KB Article.

In it MS revealed issues with RD when the printer names are not named normally (MS standard?) They also mentioned other limits.

I tripped over it a few days ago researching another issue and now I read your post. Sorry but you may want to just call MS and ask about it or research some more.

Looking over your posts you must have a few 100K in Microsoft software so a call should be worth it now and then.

Bob

Collapse -
Someone else recommended that Microsoft KB article

In reply to: Just tripped over a MS KB Article.

It didn't seem to work, so I'm trying to see if it can be shown as LPT or USB instead of DOT4. Thanks.

Collapse -
It really doesn't work.

In reply to: Someone else recommended that Microsoft KB article

There are few printer drivers that let you rename the USB or DOT named printers.

Bob

Collapse -
What if it IS on LPT port???

Just a month or so ago I was able to connect using Remote Desktop Connection(hereafter referred to as RD) to a remote server. Then when I have that desktop showing I run Putty to connect to another server on their network. Until recently I was able (when "Printers" was checked in Local Devices in the Options of the RD. Then in the Putty settings under Terminal and Remote Controlled Printing my local printer would show up in the list and I could select it and print to it from the remote site.

Today it no longer shows there. Has there been a recent Windows Update (I have accepted each one it has sent me) that would have closed off this capability. I have tried different options in the "printer and file sharing" in Windows Firewall setting, including setting all four ports to "Connect from any computer" (even though I hear this is a bad idea and have since set them back to local only). My printer still won't show up. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
You will need XP SP3 **AND** Dot Net Framework 3.5

To see your printers, regardless of port name, you will need RDC 6.1, which comes with XP Service Pack 3. In addition, you must install dotNet 3.5 Framework from MS. This worked for me 100%

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.