TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Remote Control For Home Entertainment System

by ftroop06 / August 22, 2009 6:11 AM PDT

I am trying to figure out a remote control for our video/audio system. I have a Dish receiver, dvd player, tv, and receiver. They are located in an area away from my tv. I remember seeing a remote that you can use that you don't have to point at the system. It looks like a little receiver you would use for a wireless mic and sits on top of your equipment with wires attaching to your equipment.
I hope this maes sense. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Remote Control For Home Entertainment System
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Remote Control For Home Entertainment System
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What you are looking for is...
by RustyDallas / August 22, 2009 6:37 AM PDT

a radio frequency remote control. The part that sits near your components, which you are describing, is the included RF blaster. The remote talks via radio signal to the blaster. The blaster then converts the instructions to infrared and sends them to your components. Monster AVL-300 and Logitech 890 PRO are examples you might look at but there are many others.

Rusty

Collapse -
the can be expensive but are really worth it for complicated
by minimalist / August 22, 2009 7:00 AM PDT

setups, especially if you have an AV closet where you'd like to keep your gear out of sight. I believe the new Logitech Harmony 900 does both IR and RF simultaneously allowing you the ultimate in flexibility. Not cheap though ($399).

Collapse -
it can be had for much less, the RF capability
by jostenmeat / August 22, 2009 7:45 AM PDT

try this one for $85, includes blaster, and 6 spiders. sooper dooper easy to program, way easier IMO than harmony, and i've owned both, and programmed even more for friends.

http://www.amazon.com/RFS200-PowerPak-Bundle-MasterControl-PowerBlaster/dp/B000FL9E6U

it's the best value, as entry level. if you step up, then you get other possibilities like uniquely controlling multiple systems simultaneously.

for the best in user reliability, you need to get a pro to program stuff like crestron, rti, but that is major bucks. but idiot proof.

Collapse -
Divide and Save :)
by WildClay / August 23, 2009 1:25 AM PDT

I notice that most remotes that are RF and IR are a tad on the expensive side. If you go with an IR/RF/IR converter then you can use any universal remote that works with your gear, from very cheap (under 25 bucks) to very expensive (over 500 bucks).

IR/RF/IR converters can be had for under 50 bucks and don't care what IR remote or mix of IR remotes you use, they convert IR to RF on the remote end and on the component end, convert RF back to IR.

Since you TV is in IR range and the rest our of range, this approach would offer you the most flexibility at the lowest cost.

If the only problem you are trying to solve is the line of sight for the IR remote(s) then this will do it. As for the IR remotes, at the low end you can get Unviversal Remotes pretty cheap, but all they do is let you emulate each remote, like 6-in-one, will let you emulate up to 6 different remotes, when you want it to be a Disk remote you put it in that mode, and the same for all others.

Often low end universal remotes will only be practical for the key functions, on/off, vol, channel, device/input selection, FF/RW/Stop/Play/Pause/Record and other functions along those lines, once you get to deeper device specific functions, like changing play modes on your receiver, they can be found wanting as at best you end up programming a non-descript key like "F1".

On the high end, the universal remotes can be pretty awesome but you will not only pay for that, no matter how easy they claim the programming to be, it is not really easy to get it really dialed in.

Just take care on all of the ones that fall between the lower end and higher end, they will fall way short of what you need if you are a true HT, macro-driven, smart remote and you'll pay a lot of money for something you'll end up getting not a lot more function than the low end units.

The best thing to do is look around for one and then D/L the manual for it, most of the better high end ones have the manual in PDF you can D/L and even a lot of the cheaper ones. Get the manual and see what it takes to get what you want, and make sure it lists all of your devices with the remote code for it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?