Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Remote Administration

by SonChaser / November 1, 2005 5:03 AM PST

I recently read on a forum here how a Father monitored his child's activity by using a remote admin account that allowed him to view, control, or shutdown any PC connected to the network. I would also like to learn how to set this up in my own network. I am currently only using remote desktop which obviously allows the control part, but not the viewing w/o interferring w/ the other user.
My system setup is Dell 750MHz, 640MB RAM, 64MB Vid. RAM, 80GB HD, Pentium 3 running XP Pro. My Acer laptop is a AMD Sempron 3000+, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD, running XP Home. I have a D-Link wireless g router (DI-524+ I think). I have permanent IPs assigned to both PCs and my network is protected by MAC filtering and WPA. If the remote admin will only work on 2 XP Pro machines....please still give me instructions...I will find a way to test it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Remote Administration
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Remote Administration
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bad idea
by thought_stazi / November 1, 2005 9:22 AM PST
In reply to: Remote Administration

There are far better ways of doing this that don't involve cloak and dagger methodologies which are highly counter productive -- i.e. trust destroying. Find one.

Collapse -
This is for fun
by SonChaser / November 3, 2005 1:01 AM PST
In reply to: Bad idea

I do not have any children, I live alone and like to learn to do new things with PCs. Controlling my 2 PCs using this sounds very interesting to me (as well as any others that I do maintenance on). I do not intend to use the ability to monitor anyone, but just have fun with it. This would also prevent me from having to buy software that would do this for me as well as putting another program on it. So again, I ask how can this be done, just for the sake of knowing how to do it?

Collapse -
Not as great as it sounds
by thought_stazi / November 3, 2005 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: This is for fun

Everyone thinks this sounds great at first, until you use it a few times and start to see some of the limitations and annoyances with it.

If you're using XP, you've already got Remote Desktop. For the most part, this only works with Windows, though there is a client for OS X, and some people have been largely successful reverse engineering the protocol for Linux and other *nixes. Apple has it's own version of Remote Desktop focused on OS X.

There are a few commercial programs, mostly oriented at being able to control a laptop from a desktop or vise versa.

Then there's VNC, which is free. Runs on almost everything. Windows, *nix, OS X... Can be a bit annoying to set up however.

Finally, there's the originals in the *nixes. The X11 windowing system, widely used in the *nix world, has been doing this sort of thing for around three decades now. Unix was written with this sort of thing in mind. So, generally network transparency is built right into every modern *nix.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?