Computer Help forum

General discussion

Remote access help (semi-newbie)

I have a computer at a remote location (Dell Dimension 4600, P4 2.9 Mhz, 512K RAM, WinXP Home Edition). The remote PC uses a dial-up connection to access the Internet -it's in a very remote location (it's a vacation home) and a broadband connection is simply not available.

I want to be able to access the remote PC from work or from home, but most of the products that I've seen seemt to require a broadband connection, and/or a static IP address.

Is there a way that I can access the remote PC given the fact that it's dialup only?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Remote access help (semi-newbie)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Remote access help (semi-newbie)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not really

In reply to: Remote access help (semi-newbie)

The static IP thing is usually the killer. You might be able to find some program that would automatically look for a change in the IP and adjust some domain name accordingly, but there'd always be the chance that you try and connect inbetween the time it takes to discover an IP change and the update filters its way through.

Most ISPs will sell you a static IP for some additional fee per month, and in such a case, something such as VNC might work if you're not expecting too much.

Collapse -
Issues and solutions.

In reply to: Remote access help (semi-newbie)

1. It's not a sure thing said remote PC will have power or will be online. Without a better discussion I'll have to present the usual remote access to PC solutions.

2. Dial up server. For years, Windows has a dial up server you can enable so the PC will answer the phone and you connect to it and access what you want. Cheap and no internet to access. PC calls PC. Here's an article -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/139710/en-us notes Windows 95/98/ME There are similar for the other OSes.

3. DYNAMICIP or DYNAMIC DNS. I'll write less about this one, but many fail to understand they'll incur the wrath of having to pay up for yet another ISP bill since you can't use your account while the remote PC is using yours. Read http://www.dnsexit.com/Direct.sv?cmd=dynDns There are a few of these out there, but this is so you get the idea.

4. Why do this? Get an external USB 2.0 hard disk and take a copy of it all with you. Under 200 bucks and it works.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!