Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Remember the NOLA's Congressman's cash in the freezer?

by Evie / May 21, 2006 9:13 AM PDT
Congressman caught on tape taking $100,000

A congressman under investigation for bribery was caught on videotape accepting $100,000 in $100 bills from an FBI informant whose conversations with the lawmaker also were recorded, according to a court document released today. Agents later found the cash hidden in his freezer.

At one audiotaped meeting, Rep. William Jefferson, D-La., chuckles about writing in code to keep secret what the government contends was his corrupt role in getting his children a cut of a communications company's deal for work in Africa.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Remember the NOLA's Congressman's cash in the freezer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Remember the NOLA's Congressman's cash in the freezer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
and the fools reelected
by Mark5019 / May 21, 2006 9:46 AM PDT

chocolate man they best hope that they dont get struck again

Collapse -
Jefferson is up in November ...
by Evie / May 21, 2006 9:54 AM PDT

... it is possible the investigation will drag on past then or he may be indicted. He's sworn not to resign. Wonder if he'll be reelected?

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Blame it on the phishing scams
by dirtyrich / May 21, 2006 9:55 AM PDT

"As for the $100,000, the government says Jefferson got the money in a leather briefcase last July 30 at the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Arlington. The plan was for the lawmaker to use the cash to bribe a high-ranking Nigerian official ? the name is blacked out in the court document ? to ensure the success of a business deal in that country, the affidavit said."

Sounds like it probably all started with an innocent email describing a widow's desire to move money out of the country...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Culture of ......., nah, only applies to Republicans
by duckman / May 21, 2006 10:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sadly Corruption is an Equal Opportunity Transgression
by Ziks511 / May 21, 2006 7:56 PM PDT

$100,000 looks like loose change when stacked up against the takings of Randy Cunningham whose downfall I still mourn because of the great height from which he fell. Being an aircraft junkie I've probably heard most of the interviews he gave, and he came across as a pretty impressive guy.

Sadly there's a poem about this sort of person by one of the 18th Century British poets who's name will come to me as soon as I post this. "A gallant ally in adversity, but for a peace unfit."

Even John Glenn got caught with his hand in the S&L cookie jar.

So far McCain looks okay, but he's been misled by the insurance lobby on health care.

Rob

Collapse -
Actually, Rob, John McCain was also in the S&L mess.
by Paul C / May 21, 2006 9:27 PM PDT

He was the only Republican named as part of the so-called "Keating 5," who are said to have assisted in some manner in the 1989 collapse of Irvine, CA-based Lincoln Savings and Loan. The theory was advanced at the time that as the only Republican involved, that McCain was not immediately absolved and continued to be investigated for partisan political purposes; I for my part am unconvinced that was the case.

Two references for you:

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/004016.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five

Collapse -
"assisted?"
by duckman / May 21, 2006 9:31 PM PDT

He was up to his ears in it

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?