Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

remap "fn" and shift+ keys

by shamrock747 / October 19, 2008 4:08 AM PDT

l just bought a apple keyboard and l have a UK keyboard on my laptop.So if i use say shift+2 it comes up as " not as a @ sign and it's a bit confusing. What program could l use to remap the

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: remap "fn" and shift+ keys
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: remap "fn" and shift+ keys
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
While you can try the Keyboard applet in control panel
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 4:40 AM PDT

And see if the other keyboards work, GOOGLE'ING keyboard remappers does find software titles that do such things.

Collapse -
by shamrock747 / October 22, 2008 1:49 AM PDT

what is an applet. l am using windows xp and and l can't find any thing tht i could use to change the keys in the control panel.

Collapse -
The icons in the control panel are applets.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2008 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

The applet in the control panel called Keyboard is the one to try.

And while it does NOT map keys in the way you are asking it does indeed implement keyboard maps. If you want a full software solution, google KEYBOARD REMAPPING XP.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?