Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

RemAdm-PSKill

my virus scan came up with this...what is it and should I discard it??
I have Windows XP SP2...broadband connection..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RemAdm-PSKill
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RemAdm-PSKill
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Before making any suggestion we would have to...

In reply to: RemAdm-PSKill

Collapse -
no I never downloaded

In reply to: Before making any suggestion we would have to...

this unless it came on the last Windows update I got...how would I find that out??

Collapse -
If You're Using McAfee and HP/Compaq...

In reply to: no I never downloaded

..the alert you are seeing is the result of a new virus definition which detects the "Killwind.exe" file from the Backweb program which HP and Compaq install. (Is the "Killwind.exe" file the one being detected?) The Backweb program relays information about your computer to a remote location where remote computer help can be given by HP/Compaq.

If the above detection is relevant to you, you have a choice, either set McAfee to "trust" the file in your McAfee settings.. Or.. you can uninstall Backweb from the Add/Remove Programs section and delete the Killwind.exe file which should reside in the C:\HP\bin folder.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
grif

In reply to: If You're Using McAfee and HP/Compaq...

you are right, but I dont know whether I need it or not. But, I do have an HP computer and that killwind.exe is a file when I did a search, but there is nothing in add/remove for it. Is it ok to just keep it and have Mcafee "trust" it???

Collapse -
hre is the alert I get from Mcafee

In reply to: grif

mcafee has potentially unwanted program from running on your computer.
Potentially unwanted programs include spyware, adware and other programs that might create additional security or privacy risks to your computer data and personal information. They are often downloaded in conjunction with a program that you want.

Collapse -
Grif

In reply to: hre is the alert I get from Mcafee

I read on another message board a few people are getting this too..should I just try to have Mcafee remove it?

Collapse -
It's A Common Topic On The McAfee Forums

In reply to: hre is the alert I get from Mcafee

...and the choice is entirely up to you... In my case, I've removed the "killwind.exe" file and the Backweb program from all the HP & Compaq's I set up.. The "killwind.exe" file is a process killer which aids in the remote help that HP gives, IF you ever use it.

There's really no need to let McAfee remove it as long as the problem file resides in the C\HP\bin folder.. It can be manually deleted easily.

On the other hand, if you think that you ever might want HP to remotely assist in fixing the computer, you should "trust" it in McAfee.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
the kill

In reply to: If You're Using McAfee and HP/Compaq...

i have this some program, so do i need thiss killer thing or not and should i deleted it

Collapse -
After Reading The Posts In This Thread...

In reply to: the kill

Collapse -
RemAdm-PSKill

McAfee scan keeps coming up with RemAdm-PSKill. Do I remove it or keep it? Thanks.

Collapse -
So...Did You Read The Other Posts In This Thread??

Primarily the one in the link below?

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6121_102-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=236423&messageID=2419003#2419003

Unfortunately, you've not told us any of the specifics about your computer.. Operating System? Do you have an HP or Compaq computer?

On all my HP's and Compaqs, I uninstall Backweb and the problem goes away.. but it's up to you..

On the other hand, if you've got a different brand of computer, then let us know.. Also let us know the EXACT name, and the location of the file that's being identified.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
RemAdm-PSKill

In reply to: So...Did You Read The Other Posts In This Thread??

Thank you for your advice. I have an HP with MS XP. I think I will delete it but will contact HP for their input. Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.