General discussion

Relocating the MY "whatever" folders

in XP.

Will be setting up a new computer with a boot partition and a D partition. In order to create ways to help the user NOT install things on the boot partiton, can I move all of those silly MY this, My that, folders to the D drive?? Can I simply right drag and then do I say move here. Will that change the path??? Or a better way.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Relocating the MY "whatever" folders
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Relocating the MY "whatever" folders
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
here you go...
- Collapse -
Thanx Ed O

Gee I've resisted getting tweak UI for years, because I have never found any use for it. but this computer is for a Granddaughter in the sixth grade wanting to learn how to write game programs. Had Amazon send her a bunch of books. Gave me a good excuse to make my first 64 bit machine for her Birthday.

Maybe I'll put the stuff on and let her set up the tweaks. She's in oregon, I'm in Pennsy. I hate programming.

- Collapse -
Re: Thanx Ed O

This is the standard way:

Q310147 - How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder.

The more interesting case it?s when the My X folders are completely independent and let?s say on different partitions. This might require either manually registry change or a crafted reg (or inf) file.

Maybe a "X Files" job for Scully or Mulder or ..... Wink

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

- Collapse -
Also thanx Cetin. Good to see

you around. I remember you as a great Moderator in Alfred Poor's where Toni H. learned to do the computer walk.

You may have missed the post the Ed O made from one of Toni's early posts, it was a riot. I'm an email friend of Toni's and really enjoyed it. Reminded me of the old forum days.

Thanx again I'll print that out. I haven't received the XP w SP2 CD yet.

- Collapse -
You are welcome Ray ?

I didn't know about Ed's post but I found it quickly (Advanced Search was good enough). Yes, I do remember those Alfred Poor's Forum archives, but I wasn't present those days. I began posting around April 1998. I do remember Toni's posts between the end 1998 - beginning 1999 related to Octek motherboard (yellow mark on IDE under Win95, failed BIOS flash, disk activity at midnight, LOL).

Regarding your posts, I also remember a young guy who posted some Tips (copied and pasted from other web pages). You liked, Ed O'D and Lloyd J. raised the plagiarism issue. Another one of yours (those days) was related with Intel Bus Master drivers (posted both of us in the same thread). I do remember BatMan Bill's deleting the Enum key in the registry, windows 9x cloning, tons of MSKBs posts. Wink. And of course Alfred's posts written with such a joviality tone and /or technical skills mixed with jokes and suprisingly direction twists.

I have so many memories from those pioneer days, I might write a book Wink.

You are welcome and regards,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

CNET Forums

Forum Info