General discussion

Relocate DSL modem & Router to connect XBox & Stream Netflix

Currently my DSL modem (Speedstream 5100) and wireless router (DIR-615) is located in the basement and my desktop is connected to the router via wire. Notebook is wireless and everything works fine. I want to relocate the modem and router to the living room so I can connect the XBox and BluRay player via wires to router. I want to stream from NetFlix through BR player.

I purchased a PCI wireless adapter for the desktop to access network and internet via wireless. I installed a phone jack in the living room to facilitate the connection. My first attempt at this move yielded an incorrect DNS displayed on the notebook when trying to access the internet via wired to the modem directly. I just wanted to make sure that the internet was accessible,. However the notebook has never been connected to the modem via wire previously.

What changes do I have to do and what is necessary for the modem and router to function correctly and network be up and running? This move sounds simple enough but my gut tells me that there's more to it than just unplugging and plugging back in. Can you give me some guidance?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Relocate DSL modem & Router to connect XBox & Stream Netflix
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Relocate DSL modem & Router to connect XBox & Stream Netflix
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Moving DSL

DSL can be a little touchy about cable length and quality of cable. It is not the best idea to move it since it is very hard to test and be sure its working.

I would first plug everything back exactly as you had it downstairs except have it upstairs. If it works then you know at least the DSL does not have issue moving.

A couple of things can prevent you from plugging directly into a modem that had a router on it. The most common is that the ISP has placed a restriction on that only your router MAC address will work. You can change your PC to match your router if you work at it. Another is that some DSL connection run PPPoE and you must configure your PC to run this like the router.

You could also just have simple things wrong. Check to see if you are getting a IP address at all... the DNS message will come up with the cable not connected. Also be sure you actually have green lights on your ethernet connection sometime you need different cables.

If you have issues with moving the DSL itself you could leave the modem in the basement and move just the router. You would just need to run a ethernet cable rather than a phone cable upstairs.

- Collapse -
Relocate DSL modem & Router to connect XBox & Stream Netflix

The DIR-615 is a very good wireless router, I've had lightning blow up 3 of them.

Check to see if there is a filter on the phone jack downstairs. Often, DSL ports are filtered. I had a customer switch phone cords one time. She was complaining about poor connection speeds and timeouts. The DSL modem would only connect sometimes, and other times it would just sit there. A simple swap of phone cords solved the problem. Unfortunately for her, it took a service call to discover the issue.

Other than the filter, it really should be as simple as unplugging everything, moving it, then plugging it all back in the way is was downstairs.

CNET Forums