Computer Help forum

Question

Reloading windows xp pro on an E-machine

by Jeffery1974 / September 21, 2011 4:15 AM PDT

I Have an E-machine bought approximately 2004. It had Windows XP Home on it. It has been hacked so I clean slate the hard drive and putting Windows XP pro SP 2 back on it. It installs all but about 5 minutes and then it tells me deleting unused files and restarts bringing up a blue screen saying check Hard drive for viruses I check 3 different hard drives and all coming up the same so I'm pretty sure there is another issue not that it has a virus. Does any one have an idea?
Here what the system has in it.
E-machine W3050
AMD Sempron
processor 3000+
2 GB Ram
320MB Hard drive
Question: Do I need to get a Windows XP soft ware with no SP on it to install and manually install SP2 after it down loads?
Thank you for who responds to this, Jeffery

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reloading windows xp pro on an E-machine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reloading windows xp pro on an E-machine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
XP will be tough to install on 320MB drives.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 4:18 AM PDT

And if that was a 320GB drive XP has that nasty 127GB size limit so you can research how to get around that.

My advice is to save yourself all the headaches and use the restore media instead.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: install
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 4:22 AM PDT

He mentions SP2. That should install on a 320 GB disk, shouldn't it?

Kees

Collapse -
And he mentions one without it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: install

I find many folk forget that Original XP had that limit and no USB 2.0 support. XP (the one with no SPs) is also next to impossible to install on SATA drives today. The drivers are for XP SP2 and later and sometimes, even with BIOS IDE emulation, it still fails.

Lesson? We need the XP SP2 or later version.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry
by Jeffery1974 / September 21, 2011 6:29 AM PDT

It has 320 GB Hard drive had it up graded from 80 Gb sorry for the mistake on the GB drive

Collapse -
Answer
Re: install
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 4:19 AM PDT

That's all very strange. Deleting unused files is an unexpected message during a clean install, and I've never seen a blue screen talking about viruses.
It should work the way you do it. It shouldn't give these strange messages.

Kees

Collapse -
Here is what it telling me on the error messages
by Jeffery1974 / September 21, 2011 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: install

A problem has been detected and Windows shut down to prevent damages to your computer.
((Already clean slate the hard drive) should be empty)
If this is the first time you've seen this this stop error, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and termenated
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
Technical Information:
(0xF789E528,0xc0000034,0x00000000,00000000)

Collapse -
Are you trying to install on a SATA drive
by wwwertdf / September 21, 2011 12:33 PM PDT

I know that i get that error when trying to install Windows XP on a SATA drive. If your upgraded drive happens to be SATA, you will need to slip stream the SATA drivers for your motherboard into a Windows XP disk. You can do this using NLite an ISO image of you XP disk.

Collapse -
Re: install errors
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 9:36 PM PDT

The presence of viruses is unlikely halfway a clean install. So it's time to run chkdsk from the recovery console. What does it say?

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.