Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Reloading 98SE

by rongun / June 18, 2005 3:55 AM PDT

Here this one comes again. I'm running WMe but want to get back to 98. I have the 98SE Upgrade edition, but am not in possession of 95 or Win 3x. Reformat, copy 98SE to HD, reboot and, then, I understand I need to rename a file that is copied. May someone please assist me here so I don't bang my head any more. Thanks very much! Ron

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reloading 98SE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reloading 98SE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's how....simple
by TONI H / June 18, 2005 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Reloading 98SE

Create a fake eligibility disk as proof for windows upgrade versions:

THANKS TO EDWARD O'DANIEL:

Should you need to do this in the future you can simply create a file in notepad and name it WIN.CNF and copy it to a floppy (file size and content is not important). When the installation asks for proof put that floppy in the drive and you are off and running.

Make sure there is no additional extension of .txt on the end of the file name since Notepad will try to create that.

TONI

Collapse -
creating WIN.CNF
by rongun / June 18, 2005 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's how....simple

Toni.....concerning the format/reinstall of W98SE, should I still copy my 98SE files to HD prior to the complicity
test? Just format, run setup and insert floppy? Kinda figured it would be simple, but not knowing is still not knowing. This forum is a super bonus. Right on!

Collapse -
You can run from the CD.
by Kees Bakker / June 18, 2005 5:15 PM PDT
In reply to: creating WIN.CNF

Or you can copy it to the hard disk first. Doesn't matter.

Kees

Collapse -
ABOUT RELOADING W98SE UPGRADE
by rongun / June 18, 2005 11:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Reloading 98SE

Well, after trying all the suggestions attempting to install 98SE Upgrade Edition without 3x or 95 Cab files, I have still failed. I am resonably certain that I have done all according to instructions. It would appear that 98SE Upgrade requires that I have 3x files or 95 files for complicity. Standstill....thanks you guys. Ron

Collapse -
Need more info
by TONI H / June 19, 2005 1:23 AM PDT

tell me the exact steps you took to create the floppy disk file......and also, if you are telling Windows to look at the floppy disk drive during the eligibility test.....

TONI

Collapse -
RE: About 98 SE Upgrade
by rongun / June 19, 2005 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Need more info

Okay....first, create file on floppy and name it WIN.CNF, then reformat, reboot, md cwin98, cd win98, copy e:\win98(98SE upgrade),overwrite that with a copy of precopy2 zip file (full), setup and then, for complicity check point comp to "a" drive....or everywhere else I can point it to for that matter. It refuses to accept. Maybe the upgrade will accept only 3x or 95 cab files? Or have I been doing something wrong in all this? Thank you, Toni, for your time.

Collapse -
OK...you're making this harder
by TONI H / June 19, 2005 3:53 AM PDT

than it needs to be.

First open Notepad and type abc and save the file. Content within the file means nothing. When you save the file, make sure the file NAME is win.cnf and not win.cnf.txt which notepad will want to do, so it does this, just right click the file, rename, and take out the extra .txt extension. Now drag that file to a floppy disk.

Now use a normal W98 bootdisk (get one from http://www.bootdisk.com and once you download the .exe file, put a clean floppy disk into the drive and click the .exe file you downloaded. It will take about ten minutes, but that file will create the bootdisk for you automatically.

Boot up the computer with that bootdisk.....and it will automatically put your cdrom on drive R temporarily for you.

Switch to the R drive, put your W98 cd into the drive and type SETUP. When it asks you for the eligible source for the upgrade, put in the floppy disk that has the win.cnf file on it, and use the down arrow of that window on the screen to point to the A: drive.

The installation should continue at that point.

You don't have to do any of the other things you have been trying to do.

TONI

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.