Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Religious fanatic disrupts Olympic Marathon.

Attack on race leader mars marathon; Brazilian finishes third after being grabbed by man in costume
>>The intruder had a piece of paper attached to his back bearing the message: ?The Grand Prix Priest: Israel Fulfillment of Prophecy Says the Bible.? Police identified him as Cornelius Horan, an Irish citizen. In July 2003, Horan, in a costume similar to the one he wore Sunday, ran onto the track at the British Grand Prix in the middle of the race and stayed there for more than 20 seconds, forcing racers to swerve around him. He was carrying a sign that said, ?read the Bible ? the Bible is always right.?

I really feel sorry for Lima -- he did look to be tiring a bit before the incident, but who knows whether he would have held on for the gold (he was about 30 seconds in front at the time).

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Religious fanatic disrupts Olympic Marathon.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Religious fanatic disrupts Olympic Marathon.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Religious fanatic disrupts Olympic Marathon.

In reply to: Religious fanatic disrupts Olympic Marathon.

Lima took it well, no griping or anything that I heard. It was a good race.

God save us from religious fanatics.

Dan

Collapse -
In this particular case

In reply to: Re: Religious fanatic disrupts Olympic Marathon.

Reading the article about the guy's past antics, I think it goes past religious fanatic to just a fanatic. He sounds like a danger to himself and others honestly.

He really does sound like a true nut case, an unusually odd mix of religion and sports just happens to be his hook.

But it was certainly a terrible injustice to the runner, even if there isn't much that can be done about it.

RogerNC

Collapse -
Re: In this particular case

In reply to: In this particular case

I didn't see it, but shouldn't they have stopped the race and restarted it if there was someone on the track interfering with the runners?

Collapse -
Re: In this particular case

In reply to: Re: In this particular case

Hi, Josh.

The problem is that the attack happened when Lima was at mile 23 or a 26 mile race, and only one person was affected. Restarting would have been even worse for him, as it would have eliminated the 30 second lead he'd built up already. There really was no good answer other than what they did (which was essentially nothing, race-wise) -- in all likelihood he would have been caught anyway, but he was clearly shaken and "off his game" for a while after the incident, as anyone would be. Awarding him the special sportsmanship medal was probably about the best solution to a bad problem, under the circumstances.

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.