Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Reliable Media Streaming device for avi file( wireless)

I have a Sony VAIO laptop. 1GB Ram 1GB Hard Disc. BT Wireless Network. I recently used a Sony Vaio Network Media Receiver (VGP-MR100) linked via my wireless network. It worked but would only stream mpeg 1 and mpeg 2files.

I want a reliable device that will stream Avi files via my wireless network to my TV. I have an effective way of creating avi files but the last device couldn't stream them and if I converted them to Mpeg the quality was poor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reliable Media Streaming device for avi file( wireless)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reliable Media Streaming device for avi file( wireless)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Reliable" may not be the right word.

In reply to: Reliable Media Streaming device for avi file( wireless)

While my Dlink media center is also reliable I found the documention lacking as to what encoding to use so now it's just a wifi MP3 player.

So it appears most are "reliable" but you may want to not lead off with that word.

I'd strike the Dlink from your list as well.

Bob

Collapse -
Believe it or not

In reply to: Reliable Media Streaming device for avi file( wireless)

Generally speaking, wireless media streaming devices are all unreliable. There are just too many factors that can influence things that can't be accounted for. For example, 802.11b networks probably don't have the necessary bandwidth to stream some higher resolution videos. A lot of hardware decoders for codecs like Xvid and Divx don't support Qpel features, since they require floating point operations to decode, and that sends the cost of the decoding chip skyrocketing.

For a little more work, and about the same cost as a lot of these wireless streaming devices, you can always set up an original Xbox console with the wonderful Xbox Media Center. The best method would be to have a modchip installed in the console, but it can be done with "softmods" as well which don't require cracking open the case. You then just attach a wireless bridge device to the ethernet port on the back of the Xbox, and you've got instant wireless. While Xbox Media Center is limited by the Xbox's 733MHz Celeron CPU and 64MB of RAM, it's probably far more reliable than any of those media streaming devices. If you install a modchip, you can also replace the hard drive in the Xbox with a much larger one, then simply copy the videos you want to watch to the Xbox's hard drive, and watch them from there. Xbox Media Center can also stream music files, as well as pictures, making it a fairly well rounded media hub. It even plays games to boot. If you don't already have an Xbox console, you can pick up a used one off ebay or at stores like EB Games and Gamestop. There are also solderless adapters for installing modchips if you're willing to pay a little more. Modchip prices can range anywhere from about $10 to around $100, depending on features. Just be aware that chipped boxes connected to Xbox Live tend to get banned.

Microsoft also has its own version of Xbox Media Center called something like Media Center Extender. It's not free, from all accounts it's a pale imitation of Xbox Media Center, and it only works with XP Media Center edition. The biggest thing it has going for it, is it will boot off an Xbox game CD without any modifications necessary to the Xbox console.

It's all a bit more work, might even cost a little more, and the Xbox console looks rather ugly, but it's probably the most comprehensive solution of anything else out there.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.