General discussion

RelevantKnowledge (rk.exe)

Oct 20, 2004 5:15AM PDT

My Computer:
Win 2000 Pro SP4 - Pentium III/1GHZ - 256MB - 30GB HD
ZoneAlarm w/Antivirus - Spybot S&D - a2(malware detector)
IE6 - Comcast Broadband connection
For 2 days, RelevantKnowledge has asked for internet access & server rights thru ZoneAlarm.
1st request IP destination is 216.148.227.68 which is CERFnet, AT&T Broadband.
2nd request IP destination is 170.224.224.71 which is Sequent Computer Systems (IBM) in Vermont. (Sent them an email.)
3rd request IP 0.0.0.0 Port 8254 for Server rights.
ZoneAlarm has no info on this. I OK'd the first two & denied the server rights.
I've had no problems crop up. I've researched Microsoft & done internet searches with no results. The only thing that has changed on my computer is I downloaded some Clip-Art from Freeze.com.
**I would like to know what RelevantKnowledge (rk.exe) is, what it does, why it loads on start-up and do I need it???
Thank You for any info you can provide.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: RelevantKnowledge (rk.exe)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: RelevantKnowledge (rk.exe)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: RelevantKnowledge (rk.exe)
Oct 21, 2004 11:12AM PDT

it sounds like spyware to me. i would install several spyware scanners and see what they say when you run some scans.

Herb...

- Collapse -
Nov 22, 2004 2:13AM PST

I also received a msg from my firewall that I was under Port Scan Attack from Sequent Computer Systems in Vermont (IP 170.224.176.49)at 12:58 PM today. Sounds like they have a hacker on staff.

Also, rk.exe is spyware. Delete it, or get a good spyware program (I use Spybot and AD-Aware one after the other - both are free) and sweep your system.

- Collapse -
Dec 7, 2004 6:36AM PST

Spybot and Ad-Aware didn't flag it for me. By searching through the registry for rk.exe it looks like it's associated with a toolbar of some sort. Also found in a reg key an uninstall string (c:\winnt\system32\rk.exe -bootremove -uninst:RelevantKnowledge) I ran this then renamed the file to see if it comes back or is needed by something else.

- Collapse -
RelevantKnowledge (rk.exe)
Jan 3, 2005 2:42AM PST

The other people replying to your problem went at it the hard way. I went into add/remove programs, removed it, did a restart and VIOLA all gone.

- Collapse -
rk.exe "Relevant Knowledge"
Jan 24, 2005 4:49AM PST

I can pinpoint when I got rk.exe because ZoneAlarm alerts me to new programs that try to access the internet. It began immediately after I downloaded one of those free screensavers that are advertised all over the internet. To get the screensaver, you end up having to install a Yahoo toolbar and a lot of other stuff.

The rk.exe program was simple to unistall from Windows XP. I just went to the control panel / add-remove programs, and selected "RelevantKnowledge" and - zap! It was removed.

- Collapse -
relevant knowledge & rk.exe
Jan 28, 2005 2:17PM PST

I didn't know how to get rid of this until I read your message. I use Windows ME and did the same thing you did, went into my computer, control panel and add/remove programs. I removed relevant knowledge, and then ran a search from the start menu and found the rk.exe file and deleted that. No more rk error messages. Thank you for helping me with that problem.

- Collapse -
rk.exe
Jan 15, 2005 3:32PM PST

how do i get rid of the virus threat i now have 32

- Collapse -
how I got rid of rk.exe
Jan 20, 2005 12:14AM PST

update antivirus (used nortons). start pc in safe mode. run anti virus and delete. worked for me!

- Collapse -
rk.exe issues
Jan 30, 2005 10:17AM PST

I found that I had this spyware program. When I disabled it with Spybot my internet connection slowed to a crawl. When I re-enabled it my connection speeded up again. I do not want it on my computer so I followed the directions here and deleted the file and searched my registry and removed any trace of it there. My problem is that my internet connection has slowed again, to a very slow rate. Anyone have any solutions?

- Collapse -
rk.exe deletion
Jan 31, 2005 4:55AM PST

I have removed the knowledge via control panel then re-run search, it is still finding this entry can anyone tell me if it is safe just to delete it:

RK.EXE-12733DD3.pf this is located in a Windows file called Prefetch.

Thanks

- Collapse -
rk.exe deletion & Prefetch
Feb 12, 2005 7:44AM PST

My computer has just had been invaded by the rk.exe file, where it came from, who knows! I managed to remove it from my system by using the add or remove program in the control panel .... it worked a treat! Regarding the trace file detected in PREFETCH, you can delete this, and all of the files in this folder, as it is basically a recording keeping file of all the activities your computer has been requested to perform. Hope this answers your question.

- Collapse -
rk.exe
Feb 16, 2005 1:47AM PST

I just found this in the Windows/System folder. I right-clicked on it, chose "Properties" and on the "Version" tab for "Product Name" it says "RelevantKnowledge Internet Accelerator". It is not in my Add/Remove Programs.

- Collapse -
cannot delete rk.exe using control panel
Feb 24, 2005 4:42PM PST

I tried and it said that it is already deleted, and asked me whether I wanted to delete the icon from the list afterwards... how can I delete this thing!

- Collapse -
regedit
Apr 14, 2005 12:27AM PDT

It put itself alot of places in the registry, amongst them in --> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\
SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\
StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplications\List

As enabled, what it means is that it gives itself the rights needed to bypass the windows standard sp2 firewall.
Shows again how windows builtin security is but a joke.

- Collapse -
Isass
Apr 14, 2005 12:36AM PDT
- Collapse -
Ehem, isass.exe/lsass.exe
Apr 14, 2005 1:00AM PDT

It shows that I didnt have a virus after all, there is a worm wich is called isass.exe, which I confused with lsass.exe, which is a windows process.

CNET Forums

Forum Info