The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Rejoice, The Hummer Is Dead

by mattsidesinger / May 23, 2007 8:43 PM PDT

Molly! You need to buy yours ASAP!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2007/05/23/notes052307.DTL&feed=rss.mmorford

See, sales of this particular model -- perhaps the most idiotic consumer vehicle ever produced in your lifetime -- are down. Way down, a full 27 percent from last year alone, which was already way down 22 percent from the year prior, with sales continuing to plummet as fast as gas prices are rising and Bush's war is raging and Americans are generally snapping awake to the fact that dumping well over 100 bucks to fill the tank of this monster abomination every other day might not be the best way to waste their kid's college fund.

Hence, it's heavily rumored that GM will soon kill the model entirely, which is already being supplanted by a slew of smaller, less disgusting H2 offspring like the H3 and the H3 pickup and the H3 whatever-the-hell-else-they-can-think-of to milk this horrible idea until it's deader than **** Cheney's black soul at a pagan tree festival.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rejoice, The Hummer Is Dead
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rejoice, The Hummer Is Dead
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hooray
by guyeatsoctopus / May 23, 2007 11:13 PM PDT

It's about time they got rid of this thing. Its just a moving hunk of garbage that sucks down way to much gas. I'm tired of seeing them around town, they've started to become as common as seeing a Mustang, or at least in my area. If someone wants a hummer, go to a military surplus store/auction. They could always make an obese transformer from a hummer.

Collapse -
I'm glad...however...
by shawnlin / May 23, 2007 11:27 PM PDT

the thing is huge...which also means it can probably be a great platform to turn into a hybrid or all electric because it has the room for all those batteries.

still, I think it's a public safety hazard for all other vehicles on the road by size and ride height alone. Further, I think a CDL license should be required to drive it for issues that come from the size and ride height.

--S

Collapse -
Ahh Batteries
by guyeatsoctopus / May 23, 2007 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm glad...however...

You know, I didn't even think about that. That could be a lot of batteries.

Collapse -
Too funny.
by Renegade Knight / May 24, 2007 12:33 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm glad...however...

I test drove an H2. I was impressed at how nicely it handled. It's bigger than it needs to be for what it is. It does not handle like something that big. It's size is an issue, but it's still smaller than a suburban. A well designed Exploder sized SUV would do just as well as an H2 for room, space, cargo, and do better on MPG.

Truth is. You just hate the things and chekced your rationaltity at the door when you did. GM did get some things right on the H2. Just not enough to overcome the things they did wrong.

Here's to the next generation of SUVs! Smaller, Lighter, better MPG, better designed and better off road. Cheers!

Collapse -
Maybe they will replace it with a better 4x4
by Renegade Knight / May 24, 2007 12:29 AM PDT

That would be nice. The H1 didn't seat enough for civillian use but is excellent for it's purpose. The H2 was too large for how small it was. The H3...I haven't looked at.

The key issue with the Hummers were MPG, Size/Waste. The H2 was smaller than a suburban but got worse MPG. It didn't have much usable space for it's size. It was however nimble and did resond fairly well. In an Irony when I est drove one the first on I got into had a sun roof. I could not fit inside it. I can fit in a Corolla since it had more head room. I had to find one without a sun roof before I could fit inside the thing to drive it.

It's othe key malfunction was that because it became the posterchild for ever primate who hates SUVs. You were more likely to have to waste time, money, and resources fixing random dents, bangs, and key scratches.

GM can make a great SUV. They just choose not too. However now that they seem to be killing off the Hummer. Maybe they will.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?