General discussion

reinstallng original opperating system

Hi.. by mistake I installed anauthorised window vista on my xp running computer. I am now having difficulty reinstalling the original lgit xp opperating system.. Please help

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: reinstallng original opperating system
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: reinstallng original opperating system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What sort of media do you have?

Do you have an OEM disk that came with that PC?...or a retail disk with the holographic? If so, what about the HD? Is it all free space and an IDE drive?

- Collapse -
Reinstalling original w xp operating system

The window xp I am trying to reinstall is oem that came with the pc. I do not understand the rest of you comment...

- Collapse -
Here's what you'd need

You want the OEM copy of the OS and you want to start with a completely bare drive. By this I mean as close as possible to when it came off the store shelf...no formatting or partitions. If your HD has Vista partitions, you use one of several methods to wipe the drive entirely. Your XP installation CD want's a clean work surface and it will do the partition formatting. Often mentioned here to wipe the drive are free products called Killdisk and Dban. I don't have experience with these as I tend to obtain the HD manufacture's utility that allows a hardware and surface diagnostics during the wipe process. Anyway, once the drive is wiped, you proceed as normal. Boot from the XP CD. Have not other hard drives attached than you want to install the OS on. This includes any external USB types. Have no flash card readers attached either...just the bare minimum...and follow the on screen prompts. Make sure you have all driver disks handy and, most importantly, your product ID code. Good luck.

CNET Forums